Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, ive tried everything. My rear tires blow through just about any ground i try to wheelie on. The front end will never get up and im running 3psi in the rear... cant get traction, any help?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Maybe it just wasn't designed to do wheelies? It is after all a utility machine.

Reactions: T. Texas Tony

·
Registered
872 Posts
I dont do wheelies either(mainly because I never knew how) but its way cool seeing 1000 lb utility bikes doing it. Try stiffening up the rear suspension. My friends all pull the front end ups pretty effortly

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
What purpose does doing a wheelie serve? Do you need to do it to get over logs? It it necessary to keep the air intake above water? I do wheelies on my dirt bike to navigate certain obstacles, decrease turn radius and to allow me to turn the front end to get the handlebars through narrow passages (between two trees), but I never found a reason to wheelie my quad. I don't understand the need?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Switch to sport mode and floor it, I dont like it but yeah, not very hard to do with that kind of machine :)

Heavy tire make this even easier.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My touring will lift on pavement with the PXT tires. My 27" vampire 2's just spin. When I was doing my performance testing with the Gtech it was just hopping the front end stock. With the PVC-V I had to be careful so I put 120# in the front box and retested box. With the clutch kit from RVS I even had it did come up a time or two into what would have been a long cat walk. Be careful once you get it lifting so you don't go over backward. I've had mine scrape the ball mount on the ground like a wheelie bar.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
It's all about weight distribution. The 1000 is super easy to get up. The 850 takes a little more but still not too bad. My dad even wheelies his honda rancher.. no there usually isn't a reason, it's just for fun. But that's 99% why I ride an ATV. For run! By the way the best wheelie machines are the atc70/trx90 or similar ;) many hours can be waisted/spent on a pit bike or small atv perfecting the art of the wheelie lol don't forget to keep the rear brake covered

I found that both my Polaris' handlebars were rolled too far back for my style. I roll them up and forward till the bar ends just barely point up. I stand alot and the bars work better for me like that. Probably helps a little with weight transfer too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've never understood the need to do wheelies on a dirt bike or ATV.
Neither have I. When I raced super bikes, I never learned how to wheelie them either....and it was always faster with both wheels on the ground.........but I see zero need to do so now, especially on my quad....

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Road racing.. yeah its probably faster with two tires on pavement. But offroad on two wheels or 4 it's often faster to wheelie over an obstacle. Plus it's super fun!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wheelie on my DR on the dirt roads where there's a puddle or something coming up.

My Sportsman I just hit the transmission brake and 75 shot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's all about weight distribution. The 1000 is super easy to get up. The 850 takes a little more but still not too bad. My dad even wheelies his honda rancher.. no there usually isn't a reason, it's just for fun. But that's 99% why I ride an ATV. For run! By the way the best wheelie machines are the atc70/trx90 or similar ;) many hours can be waisted/spent on a pit bike or small atv perfecting the art of the wheelie lol don't forget to keep the rear brake covered

I found that both my Polaris' handlebars were rolled too far back for my style. I roll them up and forward till the bar ends just barely point up. I stand alot and the bars work better for me like that. Probably helps a little with weight transfer too. View attachment 136214
How much do you weigh? Im 140lbs and cant get and front up i just spin

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I'm about 160lbs.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I'd suggest practicing on a smaller bike. As some others have said:
Transfer all your weight as far rearward as possible while simultaneously stabbing the throttle. You want to get in the habit of keeping the rear brake ready to apply and be good at modulating it. It is easier when going up a hill or going over a rise. But I can get my 850 to wheelie about anywhere with the right technique. Well maybe not in totally flat sand or flat greasy hard pack. But it's really mostly practice. And I'd highly suggest not learning to wheelie on an xp1000. A pit bike or small ATV is a much better learning platform. Power isn't nearly as important as you would think. It helps, but Technique is much more important.

Reactions: skozie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd suggest practicing on a smaller bike. As some others have said:
Transfer all your weight as far rearward as possible while simultaneously stabbing the throttle. You want to get in the habit of keeping the rear brake ready to apply and be good at modulating it. It is easier when going up a hill or going over a rise. But I can get my 850 to wheelie about anywhere with the right technique. Well maybe not in totally flat sand or flat greasy hard pack. But it's really mostly practice. And I'd highly suggest not learning to wheelie on an xp1000. A pit bike or small ATV is a much better learning platform. Power isn't nearly as important as you would think. It helps, but Technique is much more important.
I can wheelie like a mountain bike forever i legit have jumped on the back of my 1000 and the front still wont come up im always on like hard packed dirt/sand and i jus spin

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I can wheelie like a mountain bike forever i legit have jumped on the back of my 1000 and the front still wont come up im always on like hard packed dirt/sand and i jus spin
ur rear shocks are too stiff, ur not getting weight transfer to your tires, thats why it just spins.no transfer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts