Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been reading, searching and reading some more about tracks for my 2013 850 XP LE. I'm looking closely at TJD's and the new Polaris Prospectors. One of my criteria is ease of repair and being able to purchase parts rather than whole assemblies. I know TJD's sell parts down to the smallest widget. Does anyone know about the Prospector's parts?

thanks,
Lesn8r

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If you don't want to void your warranty I suggest sticking with the polaris brand tracks.

I don't have tracks, but I know a couple members on here have been hasseled by polaris on warranty claims that SHOULD have been covered but they turned them dpwn because of aftermarket tracks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I personally vote for the Camoplast Tatou 4s based on past experiences. I was at my dealer and looked at the newest model Prospector tracks and it is now made by Camoplast and is very similiar to the $s with some nice features specifically for the polaris models.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I personally vote for the Camoplast Tatou 4s base on past experiences. I was at my dealer and loooked at the newest models Prospector trackl and it is now made by Camoplast and is very similiar to the $s with some nioce features specifically for the polaris models.
I agree!! Camoplast is one of, if not the best on the market!!

If Polaris has proprietary parts on the Prospector tracks, I will not own a set.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,

Thanks for the inputs, keep them coming :) I believe Camoplast makes the mats for both these designs. Camoplast seems to have a great reputation. Has anyone ordered parts for either? I'm still curious if you can easily buy parts.

Cheers,
Leslie

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the hype on these tracks I mean for what they cost you could buy a very nice used sled that will go 10 times the places that tracks will take an ATV. I guess I just don't see the use for them. I'm open to opinions but I hope someone doesn't think that a tracked up ATV will go anywhere a sled will cause I've proved that before.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My cabin is snowbound in winter. The increased load capacity of using my quad to haul stuff in versus my sleds is appealing.

·
Registered
993 Posts
My cabin is snowbound in winter. The increased load capacity of using my quad to haul stuff in versus my sleds is appealing.
I'm not picking a fight or anything but how do you haul your supplies in? Do you have a sled so to speak built that you pull with your wheeler?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
No worries. I use a couple freight sleds. It seems it would be easier on atv drivetrain versus transmission on sleds to tow the hundreds of pounds of goods in. I usually have sled stacked 5-6 feet high.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Very cool. I go with a couple buddies every year to a cabin and have to snowmobile in and we use kinda the same sleds but can not handle the weight you are hauling. But on the same note the atv's with tracks won't make it in and out of where our cabin is. so we take sleds and sometimes have to make 2 18 mile round trips per entry and exit just to get everything.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
You would be surprised at the weight you can tow with a 485cc '91 Yamaha Phazer. That being said... I melted her down last year. I think I had an intake leak on one piston and scored her badly. I'm gonna part it out since I don't have time to rebuild. I picked up a '92 Yamaha Venture GT to replace her.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Back to tracks.

Having had both TJD Gen 3 Cattracks and Camoplast Tatou 4S UTV tracks, I have to say that Camoplast have a better product but TJD has better service.

Camoplast has better quality parts and fit and finish is nicer but when I called them for some replacement parts they did not want to talk to me and kept saying for me to order the parts through my local dealer. Where as TJD build quality might not be quite to the standard of Camoplast, when I called them for replacement parts they were great at helping me over the phone, as well as having the parts in the mail the next day.

I looked at the Prospector Pro tracks but even though they claim to be 4 season tracks there is to many nooks and crannies to collect mud and snow for my liking. As well resale on them is not as good because they are only for Polaris, where as TJD and Camoplast can be made to fit just about anything. I imagine parts are pretty much as easy to get as any other part a person has to get through a Polaris dealer, as long as there is stock in a warehouse it would be just the time involved to get it in.

After having TJD's on my Honda Rubicon and them being 11" wide tracks front and rear. I knew that I wanted more rubber on the ground for my massive 850 X2, so the Prospector Pro S (11" wide F/R) and Tatou 4s (11" F and 12" R) were out. I looked at the Prospector Pro SR's (11" F and 14" R as well as 8" longer on rear) which i found out are hard to find even through a dealer. So I then ended up going with the Tatou 4S UTV's (12" F and 13" R, as well as 3" longer front and 8" longer rear)

The Tatou UTV's are a bit harder to turn then the smaller tracks, but I think come this winter they are going to be great, seeing as they have taken me places this summer my tires would never have gone.

Here is some pictures of both quads:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the hype on these tracks I mean for what they cost you could buy a very nice used sled that will go 10 times the places that tracks will take an ATV. I guess I just don't see the use for them. I'm open to opinions but I hope someone doesn't think that a tracked up ATV will go anywhere a sled will cause I've proved that before.
Being as I own both, I can say that there are some benefits to tracks on quads vs a sled. Number one being it turns a quad into a true 12 month toy, where as my sled is only a 4 month toy unless I travel to find snow. Yes a quad won't out high mark a mountain sled or travel at 80 mi/hr over snow like a lake racer, but a sled that has the payload and towing capacity of a tracked quad doesn't do either of those well either.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Quasimoto,

Thank you for all the good information and insight! You have echoed some of my concerns about the Polaris Prospectors and I understand they are very difficult to get. I will revisit the Tatou's. I'm in Southern NH and looking to gain (legal) access to the snowmobile trails here so high flotation is not as critical.

thanks again!
lesn8r

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hi Quasimoto,

I'm in Southern NH and looking to gain (legal) access to the snowmobile trails here so high flotation is not as critical.

thanks again!
lesn8r
I wish it was legal to ride on snowmobile trails here in WA state with tracks...but it's not.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all,

I pulled the plug and purchased TJD Xgen's for my 850 LE. I'll have them in a couple weeks, let you all know how it works out! I'm now looking forward to the snow flakes :)

Cheers,
Lesn8r

1 - 17 of 17 Posts