Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this 01 sportsman 500 has been a basket case,just rebuilt the carb,replaced coil,fuel pump and axle,fired up runs great now......until....
Pulled back in the yard and hit the brakes pretty hard and it died...fires up after a few cranks pull it in the garage turn the headlights on and it dies....starts after a few cranks hit the headlights it sputters and dies.SO Im thinking a short in the wiring?I took pics of the wiring because the PO made a few changes and I have no idea why.The speedo lights up but doesnt work,the N and R ligts work fine.Can anyone tell me where on the coil I need to run 12v to make sure its hot so I can try to chase this down?I want to hotwire the ignition and see if it runs,then I can figure out where my issue is,Im thinking the switch with run/headlights may have a short?Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
For AWD to work the speedo must work..... guessing he bypassed this to get it to work. I would guess you have a short. I'd recommend searching the site for a manual (there should be a link to a free one!!). Get the wiring schematic and start chasing wires. :D

Good Luck.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No power to the cdi so I started unhookin stuff...unplugged the speedo and boom it started....WTF?Can I leave it unhooked ntil I can afford to buy a used working one?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Like I said.... AWD only engages with working Speedo. So to answer your question yes & no. Yes, if you want it to run.... No if you want AWD to work!

Buy a speedo and disconnect PO's bypass!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said.... AWD only engages with working Speedo. So to answer your question yes & no. Yes, if you want it to run.... No if you want AWD to work!

Buy a speedo and disconnect PO's bypass!
fyi its running great with no speedo,bypass is working perfectly,why spend big money on a speedo Im never going to use?:cowboy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts