Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting my sti black diamond tires on my new vision aluminum wheels and was thinking about gluing them on with rubber cement. ( the slim brand that comes with the plug kits) anyone do this? I have been having a issue with he bead breaking and coming off with my steel wheels thats why im trying these new ones.
Should I use something else?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I'm thinking you need new wheels, two sets of tires, same issue?
Have ya though of just running a tire sealant?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking you need new wheels, two sets of tires, same issue?
Have ya though of just running a tire sealant?
Me2
Thats hwy I ordered the vision wheels.
I tried slim but it didnt help.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
A good quality bead sealer, then over-inflate overnight so they can adhere properly. .....
Sounds like good advice! Use the proper stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is a good brand, something I can get at a autoparts store?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, at an auotparts store. The can I have looks like liquified rubber, works great. May not be cheap though.
I dont care about cost at this point. Im just sick of worrying about my tires and not enjoying riding.

What do you have?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Yeah, at an auotparts store. The can I have looks like liquified rubber, works great. May not be cheap though.
I dont care about cost at this point. Im just sick of worrying about my tires and not enjoying riding.

What do you have?
I just looked, I have the Carquest house brand of bead sealer.

CARQUEST - Product Information:Fleet, Safety, And Industrial Products Tire Bead Sealer - Easy to use - Prevents leaks and eases tire installation, 1 quart, so

If Permatex makes it, give them a try.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Slime will probably not help a bead leak at all. Since it is a liquid, it will be thrown against the tread area of the tire by centrifugal force as you ride and not come near the bead. As was said by others, use a good quality bead sealer. We use it all the time at the shop I work at and you would be amazed at the bead leaks it stops. Make sure the bead area of both the wheel and the tire are clean. Also, I would not use Slime in your tires. After hearing and reading a number of stories on the effects or lack thereof of Slime, I've moved up to the QuadBoss tire sealant. This will probably open up a heated discussion on Slime vs. QuadBoss....but so be it.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Slime will probably not help a bead leak at all. Since it is a liquid, it will be thrown against the tread area of the tire by centrifugal force as you ride and not come near the bead. As was said by others, use a good quality bead sealer. We use it all the time at the shop I work at and you would be amazed at the bead leaks it stops. Make sure the bead area of both the wheel and the tire are clean. Also, I would not use Slime in your tires. After hearing and reading a number of stories on the effects or lack thereof of Slime, I've moved up to the QuadBoss tire sealant. This will probably open up a heated discussion on Slime vs. QuadBoss....but so be it.
Agreed!!! Helped my Cuz swap out some skidsteer tires for a customer of his, full of slime!! All I can say is that I have no use for the crap!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what bead sealer do you use?
Would this work?
Buy Xtra Seal Vulcan Cement 14-008 at Advance Auto Parts

·
Registered
255 Posts
What you have there is glue for patches and plugs. There are 2 bead sealers we use at the shop, one is by BlackJack. The other is by TECH.The BlackJack we get from our local Carquest supplier and the other we order online. Your other option would be to take your tires and rims to a tire shop or ATV shop and have them seal them for you. Another thing to think about is the glue. My understanding is that it is not a "glue" as such. What it does is sets up a chemical bond between the patch or plug and the rubber in the tire. It is not designed to "glue" a tire to a metal rim.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so should I put stuff on my new wheels or try it with nothing?

·
Registered
255 Posts
That will be your decision. However, if it were me and I had problems with leaking beads, I would seal them. It won't hurt anything and if it works you're home free. If you are having someone mount the tires for you, have them do the sealing at that time. When we seal tires, (usually based on our gut feeling that it is going to leak because of what shape the rim and/or tire is in) we don't charge anything extra unless we have to demount the tire, clean the rim and bead and remount/seal it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Quadboss or Highlifter Sealant is great and much superior to Slime. However, make sure you have the lid taped shut as I had a bottle top unscrew itself while riding. You would think it would have one of those seals under the lid on the bottle itself, but nooooooooooooooo! I had the entire contents of the bottle inside of my rear cargo box. However, my friends tire started leaking and there was only about 2 oz. left in the bottle and I gave it to him and he put it in his tire and it sealed it almost immediatly. Pretty impressive except for the packaging. But why would someone think a bottle of ATV tire sealant might get bounced around?????

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Try without anything first on the new rims. Than if you have issues again, you can know it's the tire bead that is the problem. and can address it with either the bead sealant or bead locks. After working at a tire shop I have a passionate distain for any all kinds of tire sealants. If a plug patch can't fix it than you need a new tire. Simple as that. Trying to get slime or any other type of tire selant out of a tire after it has been used is a nightmare to say the least.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts