Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the new GoPro tonight. looks awesome. cant wait to update the site with vids. but does anyone have a preference where to mount the camera while riding? trying to avoid lots of shaking and what not. Is helmet the best option?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just bought the new GoPro tonight. looks awesome. cant wait to update the site with vids. but does anyone have a preference where to mount the camera while riding? trying to avoid lots of shaking and what not. Is helmet the best option?
Take a look in the Media section and watch some of the videos posted there to get an idea of what mounting locations produce.

Most of the helmet cams tend to be aimed too low capturing mostly ground just a few feet in front of the machine. And until you see helmet-mounted videos, one does not realize just how much a rider moves his/her head causing some real wildly swinging videos.

While helmet mounted cams are popular, it takes some practice to get reasonably good videos when so mounted.

·
Registered
978 Posts
We only use helmet cams and all our vids turn out great. Just do some tests to see what angle you like the best.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A helmet or chest mount will be far more stable than mounting on the front of the atv. I agree that a helmet mount can have too much movement sometimes but it's better than the vibration of the engine or terrain you are riding. Your body will absorb a lot of that vibration. There are some excellent instructional videos on YouTube

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Take a look in the Media section and watch some of the videos posted there to get an idea of what mounting locations produce.

Most of the helmet cams tend to be aimed too low capturing mostly ground just a few feet in front of the machine. And until you see helmet-mounted videos, one does not realize just how much a rider moves his/her head causing some real wildly swinging videos.

While helmet mounted cams are popular, it takes some practice to get reasonably good videos when so mounted.
So I just put one Mount on the top of my helmet, one on the front rack. Just bought the chest mount at wally world for a few bucks today, Last but not least I seen a video on you tube where a guy had his go pro tucked way low in the front by the winch or maybe even lower, I figure that might be an interesting view.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
my next door nieghbor's kid got one for Christmas...he mounts in on a radio controlled rock climber truck he built...has great video....I may get one this spring to film my rides..lots of wildlife to be seen....had a moose on a skidder road that would not move for me..lol....so i turned back....he looked pissed..I would love to film stuff like that.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats exactly why I got mine, lots of random stuff to be filmed.. and to hang up in my ground blind come Deer season:veryhappy:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Think about mounting at below by the arm, its at 1:15 in the video.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've got a hero 2 and use it for scuba diving. I love it I am prolly Guna put a mount on my helmet as well

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Stick on top of the helmet or offset to the side on top, works good just play with the up/down swivel angle, helps to have the LCD accessory as well.....

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Helmet views have always drove me nuts with all the turning around to check your surroundings. At least if you're an attentive rider. Chest mounts usually turn out good. Your body absorbs most of the shock that the machine doesn't and hardly turns if you're looking around.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well everybody, THANKS for the input!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was planning on just mounting it on front rack, but I'm not interested in videos so much, just setting it to click a pic every 10 seconds or so. But the chest mount idea sounds good.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chest mount just came in!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just got the black edition for Valentines Day.
What a shocker! I usually get something all sentimental, and all that crap.
A GoPro Hero 3!!!

Anyway, I used a the side mount kit and place it on the right side of my helmet. I chose the right side because I was afraid on the left the roll cage of a utv would get in the way.

I didn't like the top mount position because I am always being hit by overhead branches.

I've taken 3 rookie videos and have to say they have been amazing. They make me appear like a professional videographer. (word?)

It's really neat to sit back and watch videos of your rides as you can then take in so much more of your surroundings.

·
Registered
195 Posts

So true. So many videos film up to 20' in front of them. Those videos make me feel a bit nauseous. Use the GoPro app so then you can see live video through your smart phone. I do that to set everything up and then switch over to the remote which I hang on my key chain. Then I can control the camera very easily and quickly without having to fool with my helmet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts