Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What software does everyone use to make videos. And why does mine sometimes come up choppy when recording in 720 even?

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a sharper image camera for riding(you can get them for 50 bucks) and it's really choppy. I also have a go pro but haven't tried that yet. Would love to know how to get it to not be so choppy.

·
Registered
862 Posts
the go pro software is ok if you don't plan to get fancy. you will still get chop when the high detail areas are moving fast like in the woods or when there is a bunch of vibration.

trying recording in a higher frame rate, like 60fps and see if it helps smooth it out any.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just got a go pro for Christmas. had lots of trouble getting it going. there is a lot of info on there site. I know they don't recommend some memory cards. never got the camera to work on my desktop but works fine on the laptop.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What software does everyone use to make videos. And why does mine sometimes come up choppy when recording in 720 even?

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!
In order to intelligently answer your question more specifically, we need more information about how your stuff is set up and what steps you are taking when you see the problem.

I use Windows Live Movie Maker to make videos because it's free and easy to use, and I'm cheap and lazy.

Things will look choppy in the preview in Windows Movie Maker, but when it renders the video it smooths out.

If you're having problems with video chop just playing back the raw footage, I suggest copying the videos to your local hard drive before playing them back. If that helps, then either your USB is too slow (if you are connecting the camera to the computer), or your SD card reader might be too slow.

If copying it to your hard drive before playing it does not help, you might need a faster video card in your computer.

If you have a really fast video card and none of the above helps, you might have bought the cheapest SD card you could find, and it might not be fast enough to keep up with the GoPro. It needs a "class 10" card.

You might also want to check to see if your GoPro needs a firmware update. Mine trashed the file system on my SD card so I looked, and there was an update available to fix that problem.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Not sure if this is something you would be interested in doing but I upload my videos to YouTube and it makes the necessary corrections. Plus it's easier to just copy the links if I want to share them. Just my experience.

·
Registered
815 Posts
In high resolution, your computer is usually what is making it choppy, the processor is often too slow. Even my Mac cant handle the high resolution videos. There are different programs to download free to use that can help process everything. The one i use has a orange road cone as the logo, cant think of the name.
Plug it into a HD tv with 120hz screen using a hdmi plug and its crazy smooth and clear.

·
Registered
862 Posts
In high resolution, your computer is usually what is making it choppy, the processor is often too slow. Even my Mac cant handle the high resolution videos. There are different programs to download free to use that can help process everything. The one i use has a orange road cone as the logo, cant think of the name.
Plug it into a HD tv with 120hz screen using a hdmi plug and its crazy smooth and clear.
That would be VLC.

Any computer with in the last two years should have no problem playing a 1080p h264/mp4 heck even avhc file unless you have a lower power pc or budget pc with a low spec or ultra mobile processor.

Like others have said dont play off the memory card, copy it to the hard drive, for speed and so you have a copy incase something happens and corrupts the orginal.

Also all card are not made the same, class 10 doesnt mean its going actually record at 10mbps. I have class 6 cards that out perform some of my class 10's. Read reviews, a lot of people will post benchmarks and give you an idea of actual performance.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Also all card are not made the same, class 10 doesnt mean its going actually record at 10mbps. I have class 6 cards that out perform some of my class 10's. Read reviews, a lot of people will post benchmarks and give you an idea of actual performance.
I will go search this out as well, but since you seem to have some knowledge along these lines:

The card I am using is a Kingston SDCX10/64GB, and it seems to be working fine for most modes. But when I tried 720p 120fps, it was a bit choppy in places. I am wondering if it's my SD card.

Do you happen to know the speed characteristics of that card?
Have you researched the fastest 64GB card?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a GoPro Hero mine doesn't seem choppy. I have a couple of vids up (Outdoorsman ATV Park, and 2014 XP 850 with M4 muffler shot with gopro hero) check it out and see what you think.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If your videos are choppy your computer isn't up to par, if your videos are pixellated then you need to encode your videos to a higher bit rate. I have CS6 and now CC and tried my dads computer that I built and unless the video card is a recognized videocard for that software you'll be encoding all day...

·
Registered
862 Posts
I will go search this out as well, but since you seem to have some knowledge along these lines:

The card I am using is a Kingston SDCX10/64GB, and it seems to be working fine for most modes. But when I tried 720p 120fps, it was a bit choppy in places. I am wondering if it's my SD card.

According to the review i could find it should be fast enought, not one of the fastest cards but fast enoughw.

Some of the fastest cards are sandisk extream series, but you dont want to kniw how much they cost lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I thought all class 10s were 10's but then you got like XDHD etc which makes them stupid expensive lol. My 32gig lexar says it does up to 45mbps per sec so I know it can handle the amazing protune option as well.

·
Registered
377 Posts

According to the review i could find it should be fast enought, not one of the fastest cards but fast enoughw.
Further investigation revealed that it was Windows Media Player introducing the choppiness. It was in different spots each time I played it. Used a different player, it all got better.

I have not used the superview or protune yet, but the Kingston is fine for 720p 120fps.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The class rating is meant to be a minimum spec, so a class 10 card might only read and write at 10mbps, but a class 6 card may hit 20mbps even though the manufacture only speced it at 6mbps. The rating system is kind of goofy.

Sdhc and sdxc are just different secure digital standards. Sdhc can address cards up to 32gig, sdxc can address up to 2 terabyte.

If the card is rated at 45megabytes/ second you are fine, if its 45 megabits/second you will be cutting itn way to close in protune because the average bitrate can get close to 45mbps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts