Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding my sportsman I notice I am putting it in and out of AWD a lot.

I like to keep it out of AWD if I don't need it so I can power slide it around corners and if I am coming up to something I know I will need the AWD for I will select it ON then take turn it off. M

Will this cause any issues? Thanks

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
IMO: That shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If I understand it correctly, when the switch is in AWD, you are still only in two wheel drive till the front slips.

Or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I do that too, its fine.
Even when you have AWD enabled, you don't actually go into AWD until the rear tires slip, when they do the fronts instantly get engaged.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If I understand it correctly, when the switch is in AWD, you are still only in two wheel drive till the front slips.

Or am I mistaken?
Correct... and IIRC 1/5 rear wheel spin will engage the front

·
Registered
567 Posts
You will be amazed how well it goes in just 2wd. Give it a try!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
This is what I do alot. Go in 2wd until traction becomes an issue, then awd, back up, and the decide whether to Give'Er or not !

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is what I do alot. Go in 2wd until traction becomes an issue, then awd, back up, and the decide whether to Give'Er or not !
Same here, unless it looks really bad, that is the fun way to ride! lol

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The AWD of these machines still impresses me, there are times it felt like I'd be completely stuck and buried, yet somehow it'll manage to back up and keep on keepin on. Goes for both machines.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It's ok..just don't be on the throttle when you switch from AWD to 2WD or visa versa...you can be moving! Never be in motion when shifting from L, H, P, R or N.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Its pretty idiot proof actually. You throttle with your thumb and engage/disengage awd with the same thumb. hard to do both at the same time! :)

A big advantage to electric AWD is that you can engage or disengage it easy and use it only if you need it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts