Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have stock tires on stock rims. Want to go up a size in tires to 9 inch on front an 11 in back. Will it change the offset an bolt pattern at all. Any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Premium Member
9,425 Posts
What are we riding?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Assuming you are talking wheel (rim) width here..... ???

Are you changing wheels too, or just tires??

If you are changing just the tires, nothing "offset" or "bolt pattern" wise will change. As those are features inherent to the wheel (rim). The only issue you 'may' run into is the inner side of the front tires rubbing on the tie-rod ends. Which can be addressed by "flipping" the tie-rods on the hub mounting point from the top to bottom side.

·
Premium Member
9,425 Posts
Ok so all you need is a rim with 4+3 offset and 4-156 bolt pattern. You'll have no issues with 9" fronts and 11" rears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tire an wheel combo with lift kit help please

So I’m thinking of getting the ITP Mega 26-9-12 tires and wheels an the 26-11-12 tires and wheels for the back for my 2012 sportsman 500. I Understand I gota go with a 4-3 offset?? but was also thinking of going with a 2 inch lift kit to gain little
More ground clearance. Would the lift kit affect the tire/wheel kit or anything or any other worries I should worry about. Any info or pics would be great thanks

·
Premium Member
9,425 Posts
Lifts are tricky they put the axles at more extreme angles which makes them susceptible to breaking. But so does going up in tire diameter. But the later is the lesser of two evils. My thoughts go up to a 28" Mayhem you'll gain an inch of ground clearance over the 26". Next issue is there may be some rear fender rub with the 28" tires when running at a good clip and the suspension compressing. So you may need to adjust the pre-load up on the rear springs which will stiffen the ride a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don’t know if I wanna go that big might be a little excessive for my riding style. Was also thinking about the 27” 9/11-12. Would it still be 4-3 offset an any rubbing issues. Only different between the 26s an 27s in weight is only like 14pounds so not overly concerning to me

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
4+3 offset is going to be needed for the 9" width on the front tires. The tire diameter does not affect that. A 26" tire is about as big as I would consider for your 500. 27" max, unless you are willing to do some clutch work.

·
Premium Member
9,425 Posts
So you said lift I think bigger tire is the better solution for your specific needs. Just remember guys go lift for larger diameter tires generally speaking. Cause the tire is what gets you away from the ground (ground clearance). I mean obviously a full suspension build with long travel a-arms etc etc will yield more GC but also with the intentions of adding bigger meats!!!! Just to clarify why I suggest 28" tires. Ok enough of me and my :soapbox:!!!

Like Mr. Bob stated the 4+3 rims will clear any diameter 9" wide fronts. You can go as wide as 12" on the rear. He also raises a good point about clutching!!! I believe it's a good idea at any big wheel kit 26" and greater. I also know that with the proper gear selection (L)ow you can run up to 28" tires that are obviously not 40+++ pounds a piece.

So bottom line your rig your $$$ your choice!!!! And if going kind of middle of the road is what you feel comfortable with then by all means!!! You have done your homework and your plan is a good one!!! Hey at the end of the day adding a big wheel kit is the best investment anyone can make to their wheeler IMO!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Think I’m guna stick with the 26” so don’t have to go with a clutch kit. Still will look bad ass over anything stock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts