Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 polaris sportsman 400--have high alltitude jet--6000ft and above in carb. Will it run ok at 4500 foot elevation, or do i need to go back to original jet?

·
Registered
124 Posts
It’ll be fine. If you were going to stay down below 6000 most of the time, then i would change it. Jets are meant for the “Ideal” majority of the time kinda set up. I have no doubt there are some to disagree though. I have been riding 2 stroke sleds for 25+ years. My dad and i have done rebuilds on all our sleds and ridden up to about 9,500 feet and not rejetted from our original 4,500-6,000 foot settings. Noticed very little color change on plugs. We were both a little paranoid riding that high and we brought jets and were constantly checking plugs. I know friends that change them constantly for their conditions too. Run fine yes, change it if you are staying down in that elevation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’ll be fine. If you were going to stay down below 6000 most of the time, then i would change it. Jets are meant for the “Ideal” majority of the time kinda set up. I have no doubt there are some to disagree though. I have been riding 2 stroke sleds for 25+ years. My dad and i have done rebuilds on all our sleds and ridden up to about 9,500 feet and not rejetted from our original 4,500-6,000 foot settings. Noticed very little color change on plugs. We were both a little paranoid riding that high and we brought jets and were constantly checking plugs. I know friends that change them constantly for their conditions too. Run fine yes, change it if you are staying down in that elevation.
thank you gone huntin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts