Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just added a plow to my 07' Polaris 500. Played with it a bit to get the hang of things until it died on me when using the wench a lot. The Batt. display started to light up, the engine died (had to pull start) and assumed it was time to replace. Being manufactured (the Batt.) in 06' I replaced it with a new one and plowed today for about an hour an a 1/2 during which the Batt light was coming back on. Then it died again. I'm running hand warmers, headlights, and the winch, but with a new a battery this shouldn't be a battery issue should it? Something is draining the heck out of the batt. in a short period of time. Any suggestions? Is there some sort of alternator that could have gone bad?

Any info appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i dunno IF it is an issue but the winch does actually run off of the battery, not the stator, so possibly you were using the winch so much it was draining the battery faster then the stator could recharge it. Headlights, handwarmers, ect are all run off of the stator.

so the question for anybody with a winch i am curious about is, anybody with a similar machine plow for 90 mins without problems?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
it should make 5 amps of juice at idle. how much is yours charging,at idle and around 3500 rpm? the battery has to be fully charged,motor running, and nothing more than the headlights on to get a good idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I'm doing some more digging and have found that the Batt. is not recharging. I can start it off a jump but the second I remove the cables it dies. I had to replace a bushing (the one on the back side of the starter push assembly) and thought I might of knocked a wire off or something. After chiseling the bushing out some of it stuck to the back side of the fly wheel and tried repeatedly to remove any and all with a magnet and compressed air. I never pulled the fly wheel to make sure (my mistake). Pulling it today to see if I can find anything. Where is the stator and could I have screwed up the magneto with the magnets? I'll let you know what I find, but I'm running out of ideas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I found the culprit. Apparently I missed a little piece of the bushing I replaced and screwed up the magneto. Unfortunately, I think it's one of the most expensive replacement parts.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
yes, the magnetos are expensive. do you need/want a part number and a list of machines that have the same magneto incase you find a used one?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the part number but it's for the entire assembly. I only need the mag but it's only sold with the back plate an all. If you have a list of machines with the same mag that'd be cool. looked around a little but no one had one when I gave them the year and model. Was figuring that being an 07 there wouldn't be many out there yet. Do older year models have the same mag?
Thanks for the info blueline!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
yeah the magneto is only sold with all of the magnets and back plate for $491.29 USD, but if you can find a used one off of any of the following machines it would work, as they all share the same magneto.

2008 RANGER 4X4 500 EFI
2009 RANGER 4X4 500 EFI
2010 RANGER 4X4 500 EFI
2009 SPORTSMAN 500 EFI
2007 SPORTSMAN 500 EFI
2007 SPORTSMAN 500 EFI INTL
2008 SPORTSMAN 500 EFI SCANDINAVIAN
2009 SPORTSMAN 500 EFI TRACTOR
2010 SPORTSMAN 500 EFI TRACTOR
2008 SPORTSMAN 500 HO EFI
2008 SPORTSMAN TOURING 500 EFI
2009 SPORTSMAN TOURING 500 EFI
2007 SPORTSMAN X2 500 EFI
2008 SPORTSMAN X2 500 EFI
2009 SPORTSMAN X2 500 EFI

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a stator for my 04 sportsman 400 off of RMstator for $125. Very helpful folks and it took about 10 days to ship. It also comes with a new pickup. I'll be putting mine in this weekend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. Kujo! Wasn't familiar with that site. I will have it on hand for the next breakdown :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts