Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new and appreciate all the help so far. I have a 2000 model (I think, according to VIN # where 10th digit is a "Y" I think that means 2000 model) 500 Magnum 4X4

Can anyone tell me:

1) what is the best place to buy a used or less expensive carburetor?
2) Do all of the 500's use the same carburetor, or do I need to be extra careful and make certain I have the model correct, etc..? For example, as I understand it, there may be the following Magnum 500 4X4's:

Magnum 500 4X4
Magnum 500 4X4 HDS
Magnum 500 4X4 HDS II
Magnum 500 4X4 EB

Not sure which of the above models I have

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I put in the VIN and, assuming I put in the correct one, I have a Magnum 500 w/EBS

I know its a 4X4 so, I am not sure about the HDS or HDSII or anything else

·
Registered
103 Posts
As far as I know all of the 500 carbs are the same ,or at least the ones I have worked on ! Check eBay or find a dealer that saves used parts from scrap machines .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the new carburetor in, now a steering problem - ideas?

OK...so my 2000 model 5000 magnum 4X4 now has a new carburetor, and it runs great! Changed the oil and ready to ride. Beauty of it is, it only has 55 hours on it, so, its hardly been ridden even though its 12 years old.

So, taking it for a little spin, and all of a sudden the handle bars begin to have a lot of "play" in them, especially movement forwards and then back.

Any ideas of what this problem is, and hopefully its something simple I can fix myself. I greatly appreciate any input.

·
Registered
839 Posts
maybe check your steering stem bushing maybe the upper has fell out of place ? also check the tie road ends they connect the steering stem to the spindles for play or looseness best bet would be to jack up the front end and grab each front wheel and check for looseness by placing your hands at the 12 and 6 o clock position on the tire and rock it in an out should be little to know play hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shane-o,

Thanks, the more I read the more it sounds like steering stem bushing. Next question is how exactly do I get to the steering stem bushings to diagnose and replace?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK..thanks to the help from forum members (shane-o and others) I was able to see it was the upper steering stem bushing and went to dealer, got new one ($15.00) and put it in today. Amazing how much money you save by doing a little repair work yourself. Dealer wanted $158 to put in the new bushing, said it would take them a couple hours yada yada yada. I'm not a mechanic by a long shot, however, it took me about 30 minutes with a couple screwdrivers, one wrench and a socket set. Bonus was that I figured out how to adjust my headlight down since it was pointing up in the air before, LOL. Looking forward to riding this weekend with my son, he is going to love it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts