Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new Polaris this past Saturday and I was looking for some suggestions for a New Waterproof GPS or a GPS that would be fit for riding. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with one they prefer or used? Any I should stay away from? Whatever advice you have, my ears are open. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks. Happy to be a part of this site and the Polaris Family.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Welcome!

I've been told that the Garmin 60CSx and 62s are two of the best.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have a Garmin GPS map 62 and its a great unit....I bought the base model but there is 4 other higher end units that have allot of features that eat battery's up and most people will never use those features any way....

for me it was about cost,simplicity and reliability..

It will depend on what you want from a handheld, where you ride and how much you can afford....I want mine for hunting locations,tree stands and to track me so I can track back...that's it..

I have a compass in my pack as back up...
I dont need to send pictures
I dont need a camera on my gps
These are some of the features that cost quite a bit more money and kill battery's.

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
I have a Garmin 60CSx with a RAM mount. Tough, durable and water proof. Seems to be the setup of choice in these parts. The etrex Legend is also a good unit, but has fewer features and a smaller screen.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Like others have said, you need to match your wants with what you can afford. I would stay with a Garmin model simply because of the availability of maps, there are several websites where you can download detailed topo maps for your area. I bought a Colorado 400t of ebay last month for $200 and really like it. Some things I looked for were color screen, ability to use custom maps, SD card slot, and a waterproof case. I have also used my car GPS (Garmin Nuvi) on the ATV in a waterproof case. It worked well but you couldn’t overlay maps on top of each other. I would do a little research and pick a unit that has the features you want.

Action

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the help. Trying to research it a bit and see what would be best suited for me. Honestly, don't think that I'll need anything too complicated. Going to basically use it for trail riding in unfamiliar parts but trying to keep it to trails for now. Also, not looking for anything really high end since I don't need to take pics or anything of that nature. Again, appreciate the suggestions as I'll certainly take a look at each of them.

Any others?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I totally understand I went through the same process make sure you can down load maps like the topo ones their are some great free ones with lots of detail which will make exploration much more fun and safe. Watch ebay and craigs list for sales never buy full price I just picked up a new in box never used 60scx for 200 good luck

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just use my DROID! for riding, hunting, golfing, travel and wandering about the woods, I use a app downloaded from market and it has all the info I need to get back home if I get lost( side tracked), saved me a few times...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Careful using your phone for as a GPS. Depending on the model you may have to have a cell signal for the GPS to function. For example HTC phones with GPS receivers function with out cell coverage while Motorola phones do not (something I didn't know when I bought my Droid X). If anyone's feeling geeky and wants to know why, read all the way through this post LINK

Action

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have the HTC Thunderbolt and it works fine without cell service. However you have to have cell service to display any online maps such as Google Earth or Google maps since they are not on your phone. There are some real nice apps that let you download and cache maps for the area you will be riding in. Below is a list of must have GPS apps for the Droid phones, probably have them for the iphone. I think MyTrails and Locus are probably the best. I paid a couple of bucks for Locus Pro. I think the others are all free. Some of these come preloaded on the Thunderbolt.

My Tracks-great for tracking
MyTrails-can cache maps
Maps by Google
GPS Status-great for showing which satellites you are seeing plus other good info
Maverick-can cache maps
Locus-can cache maps

·
Registered
355 Posts
Bob,
Thanks for the suggested apps. I'm going to try a few and see how they work with my Droid X. From what I've been able to research the Android phones need a cell signal to allow the GPS receiver to initialize. If you're using the GPS and loose cell coverage your OK, but trying to start using the GPS with out cell coverage is a no-go. My next phone will be an HTC, my wife has one and as you said, the GPS works fine w/o cell signal.

Action

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put a Lowrance elite 5 Chartplotter on mine and love it. 5 inch screen and mapping function. Can import any gpx format. Very easy to read and ride while mounted to front headlight pod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts