Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just spent 40$ on a polaris grease gun and there was no grease in it so i went down to tsc bought some grease and the gun does not work right it does not pump any grease at all helpp!

·
Registered
6 Posts
You need to bleed the air out of it. Loosen the threads and work the head and the barrel using the slack in the treads. This will usually get the air out. Also you need to have the plunger in the free position so that it is pushing on the grease.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I agree. It has air in it. Bleed air out and it will work fine. Turn it with the nozzle pointing down and bump it on something while squeezing the trigger every now and then.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Can you post a picture of it. If not, is it a regular size grease gun or a small one?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
If you Google "Polaris Grease Gun" you get a $39.99 "kit", that is a hand pump gun for the 3 oz. mini tubes.

Best question to start with is..... have you ever loaded and bleed a grease gun before? Yes?? - No!!

If no... should go something like this:

1) Pull the plunder handle on the end of the steel tube out as far as it will go.
2) While holding it against the spring move the handle sideways so the slot in the handle slides into the notch in the end cap.
This will hold the plunger.
3) Unscrew the steel body of the gun at the head end.
4) (After first tube is done/used - go to #5 if new) The old cartridge will pull out of this end.
5) Remove the plastic cap from one end of the new cartridge and pull the metal tab to open the other end.
6) Slide the cartridge into the gun, the end that had the cap first.
7) Screw the body back into the head.
8) Pull the plunger and slide sideways to release it so it can push the grease forward.
9) Loosen either a grease fitting or metal plug on the head end to purge the air until grease comes out.

If your gun is anything like the kind I am familiar with you should be in business!

·
Registered
376 Posts
If I had just paid 40 dollars for a defective grease gun I would be giving the grease gun back and asking for my money back.

·
Registered
964 Posts
well i have come to a conclusion that thing is a cheap chinese piece of crap it had no hole where the grease is supposed to come out

Wow...no quality control coming from china!:werd:

I went with a pneumatic type from Lincoln. A little bulky...but makes the job easier.

Good luck...

biz
:)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Bought a Matco Tools grease gun for about $60 twenty five years ago. It has never let me down. Cheap tools produce cheap results.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Really? Stop and ask yourself...... "Is Polaris in the market of making Tools (Grease Gun's or Even Engine Oil... for that matter) or ATV / UTV's???? :dunno:

The answer...... NO!!! So don't buy these "Over Priced GIMIMICKS!!" :idea: :wtf:

Does someone need to slap you..... Honestly!? :slap:

Sorry, Rant over..... :soapbox: :flowers1: :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any recommendations of what grease gun and grease to buy? Also, what price should I pay? I see the Polaris one is a ripoff. I have never done this before and going to get a service manual so I can start doing work on my own. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
I like Lincoln guns. Just a quality marine grease will do.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here is a trick for greasing ATVs. I don't know what kind mine is. Had it for 40 years. I installed 4' of hose to it. My best riding buddy is in a wheel chair but always wants to help. He wheels around the bikes and pumps the gun while I crawl around and stick the hose on the zerks. That 4' hose was the best tool modification I have ever done for greasing ATVs.

D

·
8,922 Posts
Any recommendations of what grease gun and grease to buy? Also, what price should I pay? I see the Polaris one is a ripoff. I have never done this before and going to get a service manual so I can start doing work on my own. Thanks.
A $12 Harbor Freight grease gun will put grease in the fitting just the same as an expensive gun and your machine will never know the difference lol. After all, you're only going to be using it for about 15 minutes occasionally to put a few ounces of grease in a very few fittings.
If you're going to be doing a whole fleet of machines every day then by all means get a "good" expensive gun that will last forty years and 100's of thousands of pumps. It makes no sense to spend a bunch of money just to grease a few fittings every now and then. Your joints won't be any slicker just because you greased them with a $100 gun lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts