Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using car grease in a grease gun to lub the chassis and pivot points on my 850 Sportsman. Anybody else do this, or should I have used the Polaris ATV brand?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Use the red stuff! I like Mystik brand but any will do just fine. The red is a bit better than the standard grease and much easier to see when you have got the joint filled. Just wait for the blood to ooze.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I use Marine grease..its water proof...does not harden ..I was using Amsoil grease ..but they were out when i needed some grease...so I got the Lucas Green waterproof..I just repacked trailer bearings an greased the quad...stuff seems nice...seems tacky ....

·
Registered
553 Posts
I use AMSOIL heavy duty off road grease so far no bushing problems on my 09 850.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I use Marine grease..its water proof...does not harden ..I was using Amsoil grease ..but they were out when i needed some grease...so I got the Lucas Green waterproof..I just repacked trailer bearings an greased the quad...stuff seems nice...seems tacky ....

Same here. Waterproof Lucas. We ride in the water a lot. This holds up pretty good in those conditions.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Use the red stuff! I like Mystik brand but any will do just fine. The red is a bit better than the standard grease and much easier to see when you have got the joint filled. Just wait for the blood to ooze.
That's what I use too. The Mystik red grease is cheap and it works great.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Valvoline Crimson, waterproof, industrial rated lube

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Amsoil Waterproof

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Heavy duty Walmart red grease here... I grease up after almost every ride. I use the same grease on the 4x4 system and front axle on my Dodge 2500. I go through a bunch of it, and it's only about $2.50 a tube.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease......

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Red wheel bearing and chassis grease for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
AMSoil Waterproof marine here... its blue... use it on my quad, truck, boat, and my jet ski when i had those. Jetskis go though some bad conditions with the water, so thats what sold me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Actually I think most any known quality tube grease will be just fine IF used as needed.

I was taught if a U joints are not throwing a little grease they may be under greased.

I know the ones on the bush hog will take some grease every time I use it which is not that often but it has been used every summer since 1977 and still are not too worn.

What can kill them on an ATV where they transmit full power running at a steep angle is not being greased well. When you look at the HP they transmit to the ground and their size you know the stresses can be high. If one can gear down and reduce the shaft speed that can help with life too in my experience.

U-Joints can wear out but I prefer them over chains and belt drives due to where they are located.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease. Been using it for years on dirt bikes, and seems to be doing great on the 850 so far!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts