Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an '11 850 with 240 miles on it and saw the ball joint problems people are having so I checked mine. Both lowers have a little play with the wheels straight ahead and with weight on them. So, I squeezed the rubber bellows and they felt empty, like no grease.
I have a needle I have used for years to add grease to non greasable ball joints, drive shaft slip joints, etc on my truck, so I squirted some grease into my joints and they must have been empty as much as it took to fill up the rubbers.
These needles are like big shot needles that doctors use and they have a little grease zerk on the back end that fits into a grease gun nozzle. You can pick them up at auto parts stores. Just stick it through the rubber and squirt until you feel them start to firm up. Don't put too much or it will leak out on your wheels and brakes.
If they aren't full of grease they will fill up with crud and mud.

This is what they look like.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREASE-GUN-...0406370865&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
900 Posts
Great idea....... I just installed two lower NON greasable ball joints and filled the rubber up full with grease. I'll use the needle idea in the future.

Kevin

·
Registered
383 Posts
never knew of these little needles..Hmm.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Won't the hole left make a weak spot in the rubber? Also, won't that hole let water and dirt in? Just asking. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No, it won't hurt the rubber.
If you keep the rubber full of grease the grease will keep the crud out. The rubber doesn't seal up completely around the shaft anyway and that is where the stuff gets in, so that little hole is nothing.

The best solution would be to have a zerk fitting in the big end of the joint where the ball is. That would push any water and mud out every time it is greased, but since one wasn't put in there, the needle is the next best solution. This needs to be done when they are new or before they fill up with mud and water.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thank you...sounds logical.

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have an '11 850 with 240 miles on it and saw the ball joint problems people are having so I checked mine. Both lowers have a little play with the wheels straight ahead and with weight on them. So, I squeezed the rubber bellows and they felt empty, like no grease.
I have a needle I have used for years to add grease to non greasable ball joints, drive shaft slip joints, etc on my truck, so I squirted some grease into my joints and they must have been empty as much as it took to fill up the rubbers.
These needles are like big shot needles that doctors use and they have a little grease zerk on the back end that fits into a grease gun nozzle. You can pick them up at auto parts stores. Just stick it through the rubber and squirt until you feel them start to firm up. Don't put too much or it will leak out on your wheels and brakes.
If they aren't full of grease they will fill up with crud and mud.

This is what they look like.
GREASE GUN ADAPTER INJECTOR NEEDLE 18GA X 1-1/2IN. | eBay

so your guys are talking about the rubber cv boot right? inject straight into there....just to be clear..

·
Registered
665 Posts
so your guys are talking about the rubber cv boot right? inject straight into there....just to be clear..
The "CV" in CV joint stands for constant velocity, which are the joints on the axle shafts. They are NOT talking about those. You don't want to puncture those; and they use a special type of grease anyway.

Google "ball joint" and "tie rod end"...

·
Registered
157 Posts
The "CV" in CV joint stands for constant velocity, which are the joints on the axle shafts. They are NOT talking about those. You don't want to puncture those; and they use a special type of grease anyway.

Google "ball joint" and "tie rod end"...

:lame: lol shows what i know about my new atv! :boggled:

ill keep learning from this site and other people though...thanks for clearing that up

·
Registered
181 Posts
i would put the needle between the rubber boot & the ball jhoint stem that way you do not puncture the boot. not sure if you can do this in the quad but i will be doing it next time they are replaced.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I put a zerk in if you want to read all about your front axle go to ATVQUADSQUAD.COM drop down to Polaris then click on Quality Control. I found out putting grease inside the boot may help with water getting in but it will do nothing to get the grease where it belongs IMO

·
Registered
353 Posts
I put a zerk in if you want to read all about your front axle go to ATVQUADSQUAD.COM drop down to Polaris then click on Quality Control. I found out putting grease inside the boot may help with water getting in but it will do nothing to get the grease where it belongs IMO
So you're saying that injecting grease into the rubber boot on the ball joint will not make it into the joint?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The ball and socket of the ball joint have a close tolerance so how can grease get into the ball and socket area.Put oil on top of the stem area it wont even go into the socket.Now if your ball joint is worn (like has movement) sure grease and oil will find its way into the socket.IMO check your front suspension.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
When you pump grease into a ball joint through the zerk it goes through the joint into the rubber boot and out the top. If it will go one way it will go the other way. If it won't go through just put some miles on it and it will wear enough to let it go through.
A zerk in the bottom of the joint is better though, because it pushes the dirty crud out of the bottom of the joint through the boot and out the top. But if you don't have a zerk the needle is much better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I carefully inject OMC Triple Guard marine grease into all tie-rod ends and ball joints. The stuff does not wash out and keeps all of the crude out. So far, so good.

Mark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts