Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was greasing my 2014 Sportsman 400 and one of the rear grease zerks pulled out. I found some thread forming grease fittings but I do not know the correct size. Does anyone know the correct size? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Most common is 1/4-28.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was 1/4-28. I was able to pick up a new one from our local hydraulic supply house, they had thread starters. It seemed to have a better bite and I could tell it made some new threads in the hole. But when I installed it and greased it some grease came out from around the fitting not much just a little. So I removed the fitting cleaned the hole and fitting and applied some Loctite red to the threads hoping it would help hold it better plus provide some sort of seal. I know red may have been an overkill but I don't want to keep taking this out. If this don't hold my next step will be to heat up the fitting to get it out due to the red Loctite and use the gel loctite, then if that don't work I don't know what I will do. The next size up I believe is 5/16 and it is somewhat larger for sure and I don't want to tap that large of a hole. Any comments on what I already done or suggestions for what I may have to do in the future will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
I like the loctite idea. I was thinking Teflon tape but the thread area is small so that may be hit or miss.

·
Registered
128 Posts
When I replaced a zerk on my 800 I was having the same problem. It turned out the zerk I put in was too long so I backed it out a couple turns now I no longer have any problems with grease coming out from the base of the fitting.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, I installed a 1/4-28 thread starting zerk with some red threadlocker, and all is good, for now. Thanks for all the comments I appriciate it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the same machine and am about to grease for first time. How many zerks did you find? What grease did you use? I was planning on using red and tacky for all, that okay?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have always used marine wheel bearing grease on all of my quads. I have used that on all of my bearing, a-arms and swingarm bolts on my race quads for years with no problems.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found 9, and use the Polaris grease speced in my manual until the warranty expires, then I will switch to Lucas X-tra.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I found 9, and use the Polaris grease speced in my manual until the warranty expires, then I will switch to Lucas X-tra.
So i bought extended warranty on my 14- 550 model.. so will i avoid warranty for not using polaris oil and grease etc?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't know about what it does to the warranty here is my post on it's zerk location. There are a total of 19. On the back there is one on the top A arm (both sides), two on the bottom A arm (both sides), one on the top and one on the bottom of the bearing carrier (both sides). That is a total of ten in back. On the right side of the machine if you take the plastic off the side above the foot well and look down below the muffler you can see a drive shaft. If you feel in back of the knuckle you will feel one. If you roll the machine you can make it come to the top and grease it (cold, the muffler burns ask me how i know lol). In the front there are two on the top A arm and two on the bottom A arm on both sides. The bottom two aren't two bad to get to but the top two are behind the sleeve and I haven't figured that out yet. If you think of an A arm as a big a in the front the zerks are at the bottom two arms of the A. In the back the top zerk is on the top of the letter A (hence only one) an the bottom A arm zerks are again at the base of the A. The bearing carriers on the rear are almost inside the wheel well. Hope this helps. I have a 2014 550. Update: I bought a LONG hose for my grease gun and getting to those two on top of the front A arm is much easier. I also tried an angled tip which didn't work to well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know if it will affect the warranty but never risk it. I've just always had luck with Lucas X-tra.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found 8 of 9 zerks. I couldn't find the drive shaft yoke one that is actually shown on page 79 of the manual (2014 400). If I am looking in the right spot, I think it may have broken off.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's on the back, look through the rear right wheel well and roll the bike slowly while looking at it you should see it also that is where I grease it from. I think it would be real hard to break it off if you have never got to it not saying Polaris ever installed it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's on the back, look through the rear right wheel well and roll the bike slowly while looking at it you should see it also that is where I grease it from. I think it would be real hard to break it off if you have never got to it not saying Polaris ever installed it.
Thanks. I was looking in the wrong spot...more up front.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts