Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 2010 500 h.o. , how many fittings are there? On mine there are one on each A-arm, and one on prop shaft. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
On 2010 500 h.o. , how many fittings are there? On mine there are one on each A-arm, and one on prop shaft. Does this sound right?
No it doesn't sound right. Mine has 6 on the rear and two up front and the prop shaft

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked all over and can't find any other than front and rear a-arms and prop shaft, if anyone has any pics, I would appreciate it.Thanks

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I've looked all over and can't find any other than front and rear a-arms and prop shaft, if anyone has any pics, I would appreciate it.Thanks
The lower rear a arm has one zerk on each side and the upper rear a arm is a split design and has two on each upper a arm. The front lower a arm only has one on each side, and prop shaft has one as you've said. Look carefully as they can be a little hard to see, especially if your bike is dirty

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

·
11,589 Posts
According to the microfiche, you should have 5 total. The front A arms have one each. The rear lower control arms have one each. And the front prop shaft has one.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
According to the microfiche, you should have 5 total. The front A arms have one each. The rear lower control arms have one each. And the front prop shaft has one.
Check the microfiche and see if there was a change between 2010 and 2013 because I have 6 on the rear and two on the front plus one on the prop shaft

two each side on rear upper control arms
one each side on rear lower control arm
one each side on front A arms

plus one front prop shaft

This is from just greasing the machine, so I know it's accurate

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I called a friend who has a 2010 sportsman 500 HO and he said he has the same as me as far as the zerks which is 6 on the rear and two up front and the prop shaft

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just checked again to be sure, and I'm only finding one on each lower arm in rear,nothing up top,one on each front a-arm,and prop shaft.???? It's got me wondering, maybe some are different?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I just checked again to be sure, and I'm only finding one on each lower arm in rear,nothing up top,one on each front a-arm,and prop shaft.???? It's got me wondering, maybe some are different?
Look at it this way, if it has an upper control arm then there has to be a zerk to lubricate it. Like I said, the upper is a split design and has two zerks for each upper control. I don't think any are different since my buddy's is the same year as yours and his is just like mine, two zerks on the upper control arms on each side. If yours truly has no zerks on the uppers, take it back to Polaris and tell them to explain why

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope you guys don't think I'm crazy, we'll maybe I am but that's not the point, I looked one more time and there is positively no grease fittings there, I see the bushings but nowhere to grease them. Not even a hole for a zerk.

·
11,589 Posts
There are different numbers of fittings according to the year model. The older models up through 2002 had 14 fittings on the rear suspension alone. You could grease everything on those machines that moved. They even had greaseable U joints and ball joints and fittings on the steering stem and tie rods for a total of, I think, 25-27 fittings on the entire machine.
Then in 2003 and 2004 some really bright individuals at Polaris decided we didn't need grease fittings anymore. Those machines have NO grease fittings anywhere on the front or rear suspension! NONE, ZERO, ZIP!! They only had a couple on the front axle joints and 1 on the prop shaft yoke.
In the years since, they have intermittently started putting on SOME fittings but only about 1/4 the number actually needed. If you want grease fittings everywhere they are needed you have to install them yourself like I did. My 06 800 now has 23 fittings. I guess it makes good business sense for Polaris though for you to have to tear down your machine every couple years to replace worn out bushings and u joints and such.:chairfall:

2013 Sportsman 500 HO rear suspension has 3 on each side for a total of 6(#25):

2010 Sportsman 500 HO rear has 1 on each side for a total of 2 (also #25):

2003 Sportsman 500 HO rear suspension with NONE on each side for a total of 0!!

2002 Sportsman 500 HO rear suspension with 7 fittings on each side for a total of 14 on the rear alone!! (#'s 11 and 44)

·
11,589 Posts
I hope you guys don't think I'm crazy, we'll maybe I am but that's not the point, I looked one more time and there is positively no grease fittings there, I see the bushings but nowhere to grease them. Not even a hole for a zerk.
You're not crazy benm...well you may be...I don't really know. :D But you are correct that you have no fittings on the rear upper arms or the bearing carrier bushings or the torsion bar unless you take it apart and install them yourself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts