Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out today greasing my suspension and I thought I read somewhere that there is a grease fitting somewhere on the drive shaft that should be done too. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find one but didn't find anything. Anyone know anything about this or if I read false information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Put er in neutral and push back and fourth. Mine is just beside the dipstick for the engine oil. Stupid spot, some take off side panel,mi just make it work.

·
Registered
615 Posts
There is a grease zerk on the first joint of the prop shaft near where it comes out of the transmission. You may need to put the quad in neutral and roll it to find it, but it's there. It can be a PITA to get to but it's possible. I believe 3 shots of grease is all it needs, it's a certain type of joint that I can't think of the name of right now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Flexible grease line. Or if you can find one on a angle, I just make it fit. It's tight

·
Registered
615 Posts
Found it, but can't get the grease gun on the zerk. What's the secret?

Tears and desperation!

Seriously though, get a flexible line for your grease gun, or possibly remove the floorboard.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I tried with a flex line but can't get the fitting square on the fitting. Gruuuuurrrr.

·
Registered
168 Posts
From underneath works for me.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well keep this in mind - that fitting only needs to be hit every 500 miles unless rough duty use. I made the mistake of greasing it during my break-in maintenance and I snapped the damn zerk off trying to get the grease gun off the fitting. I was pulling with both hands at that point, it just would NOT come off the zerk. Then it snapped off. Yes it only fits exactly one way and even a few degrees difference will be enough to make or break it.

So this summer I am pulling the prop shaft and will be replacing the zerk or even the shaft if needed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, I've had the wheeler almost 2 years and never greased it until today. Holy cow! That thing was a you know what to get the grease gun off. After about 45 minutes, I finally got it off. I guess I'll do it again in 2 more years. :tragedy:

·
Registered
615 Posts
I must have got lucky when I did mine. Grease gun went right on, 3 shots of grease, and a little tug to remove and I was good to go! I say that now but in a few weeks I'll be doing a pre 4th of July HMT trip once-over to both our quads and I'll probably have a hell of a time getting it on either the 570 or the ETX!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I talked to my neighbor about this yesterday, and he told me a situation about his friend that has a Polaris Big Boss. This gentleman had the same issues, so he took his grease gun to the Polaris dealer he bought it from. They informed him that he had the wrong size grease nozzle end. He bought one from them, and put it on his grease gun. He claims it's easy on and easy off for all his grease fittings now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone I ended up getting it to work. Never had to much trouble getting it off the fitting. My main thing was having a second person there to pump the gun while I held the tip on the fitting, I also used a flexible hose which made it much easier I'm sure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
why is it so hard to get a standard grease gun fitting off those Zerks are they a weird size , i had to use a little pry bar to get mine off when i greased em

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
With any grease zerk there is some tightness. I pull theme off using a circular motion while turning the grease gun nozzle to a 45° angle to the zerk.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ok thnx >> i bought a top of line grease gun cause my other ones were old and OMG they a bugger to get off , i bought the Lock and lube and their 90* fitting made it alot easier but wow still hard to get it off the Zerks

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If you don’t use a grease gun with a tip that tightens/loosens you will eventually snap fitting off by prying it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you don’t use a grease gun with a tip that tightens/loosens you will eventually snap fitting off by prying it.
+1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts