Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I greased my 2 units below, had not done this before-just plain lazy. I've had the 98 a couple yrs (got it w/ 3200 miles now has 3500) and 1 yr on the '10 (got it w/330 miles now has 700).

The 98 took between 1 and usually 2-3 pumps before i could hear it was getting full on each zerk and boy are there lots to choose from! The '10 (which was probably getting its first post-production lube) took 3 pumps on almost all its zirks, of course there are many fewer zerks to cover there. Crazy manual says unit is lubed, no need to lube but a few zerks added in case user wants to, what??

So my questions are 1) does most everyone find the same thing, 2-3 pumps of grease each time you grease up?

2) Where does all that grease go over time?

Next question, why is the zirk on the front u-joint different that all the rest (both quads)? Special connector?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
At least 2 or 3 pumps. Grease eventually is pushed out of the joint by movement of the joint. Water and debris can also get into the joint and displace the grease. When you grease it you displace water and debris and provide lubrication to the joint. Can't over grease especially if you ride mud, sand and water.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks-make sense. Yeah both quads, especially the older one seemed to feel a little better/smoother to operate afteer-i need to do this more often...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts