Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine that has been riding ATVs since they had only 3 wheels told me to put the Green Slime in the tires and you will almost never get a flat. Another guy told me not to because it's a freakin mess when it's time to change tires. I'm just wondering what everyone thoughts are on the subject? The stuff is not cheep either, is there something cheeper that would work just as well? I remember as a kid my Grandfather mixing up some white glue and water and fixing a slow leak in my basketball...HA HA! Thats just the way he is, never threw anything out without trying to fix it first. I have a slow leak in my RF tire and the Green Slime is tempting, should I go for it?

·
Registered
815 Posts
why not just plug it? whole kit is cheaper than a bottle of green crap

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Fix a flat is cheaper, better and EZr to use than slime

Once I put this in, I Never get flats or slow leaks. I ride thru constant cactus, rock, stumps all day long. I don't deal with tire changes, tire guys do, sorry!

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes for sure use it ....it works. You may still get flats ,but they aren't the little slow leaks that we all usualy see without the slime.
As far as changing the tires and dealing with the supposed mess.... BIG DEAL.....just go wash your hands!!! IF you don't want to get dirty, stay out of the garage.....

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
ok, as someone who once changed tires for a living I'll chime in.

I hate the stuff. Not because it doesn't work, just because of the massive pain in the ass it is to deal with when the hole in question is larger than the goop can handle. that being said. It will not prevent all flats. and plugs work just as well if not better. The other issues is where the puncture is. side wall, and that stuff can't do anything, Bead and it can't do anything. The only time it prevents leaks is if the small puncture is in the tread.

Side wall leaks are a "no repair zone" for passenger tires, but for ATV's I'm not sure where they stand. I might do a quick repair (plugs) to get me home, but would replace the tires ASAP if I got a sidewall puncture. Bead leaks are a PITA but can be dealt with.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think it may be a little more but highlifter sells a tire sealant and people that have run it claim it is better than slime. I have never used it but it is supposed to also work in the sidewall. You may want to check with them. I carry a plug kit also with me just as a back up in case it happens.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I personally don't think I'd run it as a preventative measure, but if neared I wouldn't hesitate to add it.

I carry a bottle of slime and a slime plug kit in my truck, as a just in case.

As for the quality of the slime..... it works great. The son ran his wheeler in some grain stubble. By the next morning all the tires were flat..... couldn't fidure it out, until I aired them up and applied the classic soapy water mix. Bubbles everywhere, they looked like pin cushions! Plugged a couple of the larger holes and added the recommended dose of slime to each tire and aired them up. They hold air like new again. I have noticed one get a little low over the winter months sitting idle, but a few spins of the tire and reair it up and it's held strong again for the last month plus.

The tire guys may squak a bit when doing a tire mounting, but.... that's what they get paid to do & chose to do!!! Not directed at anyone.... But, They'll just have to eat it on that one!

I think it's a Good product!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
ok, as someone who once changed tires for a living I'll chime in.

I hate the stuff. Not because it doesn't work, just because of the massive pain in the ass it is to deal with when the hole in question is larger than the goop can handle. that being said. It will not prevent all flats. and plugs work just as well if not better. The other issues is where the puncture is. side wall, and that stuff can't do anything, Bead and it can't do anything. The only time it prevents leaks is if the small puncture is in the tread.

Side wall leaks are a "no repair zone" for passenger tires, but for ATV's I'm not sure where they stand. I might do a quick repair (plugs) to get me home, but would replace the tires ASAP if I got a sidewall puncture. Bead leaks are a PITA but can be dealt with.
I personally don't think I'd run it as a preventative measure, but if neared I wouldn't hesitate to add it.

I carry a bottle of slime and a slime plug kit in my truck, as a just in case.

As for the quality of the slime..... it works great. The son ran his wheeler in some grain stubble. By the next morning all the tires were flat..... couldn't fidure it out, until I aired them up and applied the classic soapy water mix. Bubbles everywhere, they looked like pin cushions! Plugged a couple of the larger holes and added the recommended dose of slime to each tire and aired them up. They hold air like new again. I have noticed one get a little low over the winter months sitting idle, but a few spins of the tire and reair it up and it's held strong again for the last month plus.

The tire guys may squak a bit when doing a tire mounting, but.... that's what they get paid to do & chose to do!!! Not directed at anyone.... But, They'll just have to eat it on that one!

I think it's a Good product!!
You've got two very good sides of the equation here. My ITP XTRs were really good tires, however HORRIBLE for sidewall strength, every trip there was puncture in the sidewall. Slime does not help that, as mentioned above. If you ride in areas with a lot of debris or cacti...something that will do a lot of small punctures in the thread, then any sealant would be good. All of mine though Slime could not help and thus I still had to use the plugs. To note, it won't help the sidewall but it sure as hell will still bubble out of the sidewall and ooze down the tire because the black stuff stays down in the bottom of the tire and can't "clot."

When I got them switched with my new growlers, I told the kid that was sorry up front and that they were all full of Slime. Didn't want him to get a nasty surprise; at least he knew what he was getting himself into at that point and could prepare.

I'm fine with plugging an ATV sidewall (one of the XTRs was running that way for about 900+ miles) as long as you aren't doing a lot of driving on an actual road at highway speeds.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
QUOTE]

lol, and for those of us that change our own tires? what about us? lol.

I'm not saying don't use it. I'm just saying it's not a miracle cure. and I hate changing tires that have it. Plugs are better IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Fix a Flat is a horrible product to use as preventive care. Fine to use to get you home, but it needs to be removed from the tire ASAP. It is very corrosive to your wheels when left in the tire for an extended period of time.
Slime is a pretty good product, and if you warn the tire guys that it is in there, they don't mind as much. It is the nasty surprise that will really get them revved up. You can buy it by the gallon at Wal-Mart pretty cheap.
I prefer plugs, but if you ride in thorny areas and always get multiple small punctures, then Slime is the way to go. I have no issue with running tires with plugs in them. Used to plug car tires all the time way back when I used to work in a tire shop. Plugs are pretty amazing, and I've never had one come out. If it did, just put a new one in.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Good info!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fix a flat and slime are awful, i mean awful!!!!!!!!1 They are a pain to change and they don't work that well. If you have a slow leak, take the tire off, get a tub and some soap and sink the tire in the water and soap in the tub. If the leak is really slow then check the valve stem, if you don't know just replace the valve stem. If that doesn't work try bead sealer.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Question on compressed slime. I know for a fact that a compressed can of fix a-flat will freeze and leave you empty handed. Will a compressed can of slime freeze as well?. I have two experiences on the trail with canned slime and both have fixed a sidewall puncture. I do not run standard pre slime in any of my tires. I am refering to the slime that comes in a can that pumps up the tire and distributes the slime at the same time. Kinda like a can of fix a flat.

·
Premium Member
10,361 Posts
i just purschased the highlifter tire sealant. i have run ultraseal in my tires which is superior to slime. the reason for going to the highlifter product is it is quoted as atv and dirt bike specific. it also will seal a 3/8" side wall and 1/2" tread puncture. i have multiple gashes on my rear 2.0's and the tires dont hold air for more then a week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't use it. I had a pretty good sized hole in the sidewall of a rear tire, a Swamp lite 26. I plugged it and then took the tire off the rim and used a dremel to file down the plug on the inside. I then took a tire patch and covered the plug on the inside. I put the tire back on and it has held air and so far I have put about 500 miles, some of it pretty rough terrain, without issue. The patch will probably outlast the tread at this point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts