Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just signed up because I bought a Polaris today.
Nothing fancy, its a was a Craigslist find.
9x 300 2x4, in pretty good shape over all.
The price was RIGHT!

So now I go about the chore of getting running.

Seems to have been sitting for the last year, in a garage, so the all the plastic looks great, seat looks good, no tears etc. Ovar all I'd give it a 9 for appearance.

The down side:
The carb has to be pulled and cleaned, completely gunked up, will run only by pouring gas in the carb.

Brakes, it had 0 brakes, so I added fluid and pump, pump, pump refill repeat. Well it seems the rear brake caliper is leaking fluid. My have to replace it.

Pull rope is MIA.

So is the battery.

Tires are junk, just worn out.

The shifter linkage needs adjusting, the PO told me it was jumping out of High Range.

So where I stand, if it ever quits raining I'll get the carb off and cleaned so it will run, then I will work on the linkage and then the brakes and the pull rope, the replace all 4 tires and hopefully have a reliable fun quad for my Dad to ride.

Merry Christmas to each and everyone of you all.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Hey welcome to the board!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Welcome and good luck with your build up, I had a lot of work on mine before it was dependable so I know where your headed. I run my antique with a lot of new ones, but I don't worry near as much as those guys, LOL. Keep us posted on the progress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the carb cleaned up yesterday and got it running, then had an oops. The oil injector line came out of the carb. Ran it lean on oil. It started back up, and I got the line back in. Now its a little noisier but still running.
So at least I know the engine is good.

I adjusted on the shift linkage (H/R) rod but its still not perfect. It goes into high now, but tends to jump out of reverse. That shifter rod length is picky about the length it has to be JUST right evidently.

Does anyone know the correct battery number for a Polaris 300 2x4? I've been starting it off the battery charger, and there was no battery in it when I got it.

I've got a brake fluid leak at the rear caliper, so it might have to be replaced. I hadn't looked at pulling it yet to see exactly what the issue is there. It will get new pads front and rear before I'm done.

Thanks for all the greetings.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You might want to think about bypassing the oil injection. If something goes wrong, you just trashed a motor. Premix is much safer and dependable, plus you know what % oil to gas ratio you have at all times. Much better performance with premix.
Yes, the shifter linkage is very picky, trial and error.
I buy my battery's at Wally World. I never had a exact number, just as long as it fits in the battery tray. 2 years on my oldest battery, never a problem. I even left the key on and run the battery all the way down. It was still good after several hours an the trickle charger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts