Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is selling a 94 Trail Boss 6x6 that he has had sitting for a few years, and I was hoping to get a little advice. The beast has obviously been used, but starts easily and seems to be functional. The problem is that, even with the idle set low the gears grind when you try to shift into forward or reverse, and once there, they grind as you move. He has no desire to delve into it, and has offered to sell it cheap. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what I would be getting myself into, and what it might cost me? I have lots of motorcycle experience, but none with ATV transmissions.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Grinding as you move is not a good sign. I'm assuming that you checked fluid level in the transmission and made sure the noise while moving isn't coming from the clutch housing? At a worst case the transmission may need a full rebuild, factor that in on the "cheap" price. If you purchase it for a low enough price and do the repair yourself it still may be a good deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transmission compatability

I haven't checked anything out yet, but will check fluid level as soon as I can get over there. Cheap always means strings attached, and it usually means that you are taking on a problem someone else didn't want to solve. A transmission might be the string in this case.

If I were to look for a new or used transmission on ebay, what years and models are compatible with a 1994 Trail Boss 6x6 AWD? Is there somewhere I can look this up, or is it just a question of asking the right person?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not much luck

Using the PolarisParts site I found the model # for the 1994 400L Trail Boss 6x6 (W948740), found the crankcase assembly (1341136) and then searched on that part #. It looks like the part is only for one year, but multiple models. Is it likely that they only used the transmission for one year? Ebay comes up dry if I look at only 1994, so I am hoping there are more options.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also check the adjustment for the shifter to trans, my trailboss had the same problem, i just adjusted that till i got it into the right place and the trans has worked flawelessly ever since may not be your problem but its worth a try

1 - 7 of 7 Posts