Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 94 polaris 400l 4x4 on demand first anyone know where to get a manual for this to download free and second the problem this atv is having issues with shifting it seems like its always engages the secondary clutch spins a little on idle in neutral and when trying to shift it just grind and wont shift into gear from neutral to high or to reverse both grind i did get it to start in neutral and go into reverse with no problem and quickly shift to high and no grinding but if I try to start it into neutral and shift into high it grinds and wont shift same for reverse most of the time. belt sqeals thinking I need to change it not really sure. anything will help I can start it in high sometimes it will engage and be good to go but sometimes not any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,348 Posts
Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.

·
Registered
163 Posts
secondary shouldn't rotate at idle. On a machine that old it could be a number of things. Idle set to high, clutches worn out, motor mounts shot, primary to secondary alignment.... I am assuming it shifts fine from H-N-R when the engine is not running.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
secondary shouldn't rotate at idle. On a machine that old it could be a number of things. Idle set to high, clutches worn out, motor mounts shot, primary to secondary alignment.... I am assuming it shifts fine from H-N-R when the engine is not running.
i didn't think it should be also yes it does shift well when not running

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,353 Posts
i didn't think it should be also yes it does shift well when not running
That’s an indication the bearing in the primary clutch is worn out/seized...if you have engine braking it’s a one way bearing, if not it’s a two way bearing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
2 things I’d look into. Your RPM @ idle before shifting into gear.

Then also apply both brakes before shifting to see if that assists a smoother transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 things I’d look into. Your RPM @ idle before shifting into gear.

Then also apply both brakes before shifting to see if that assists a smoother transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it currently has no brakes I need to replace the brake line could that be the problem? i thought that I might need to hold the brake to switch gears but wasn't sure ill try that thank you all for you help also ill replace the primary clutch and or rebuild thank you for the suggestions

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it currently has no brakes I need to replace the brake line could that be the problem? i thought that I might need to hold the brake to switch gears but wasn't sure ill try that thank you all for you help also ill replace the primary clutch and or rebuild thank you for the suggestions
bearing*

·
Registered
163 Posts
If it shifts fine when not running and grinds when running the engine is putting a load on the secondary for some reason. It could be any of the items I mentioned above. It has nothing to do with the brakes. First thing I'd look at is the idle speed being to high. There is an adjustment screw on the side of the carb. I don't remember which side but it is a larger knob that you can adjust by hand. Idle is 600 RPM +-100

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a 94 polaris 400l 4x4 on demand first anyone know where to get a manual for this to download free and second the problem this atv is having issues with shifting it seems like its always engages the secondary clutch spins a little on idle in neutral and when trying to shift it just grind and wont shift into gear from neutral to high or to reverse both grind i did get it to start in neutral and go into reverse with no problem and quickly shift to high and no grinding but if I try to start it into neutral and shift into high it grinds and wont shift same for reverse most of the time. belt sqeals thinking I need to change it not really sure. anything will help I can start it in high sometimes it will engage and be good to go but sometimes not any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you
Look up a manual for that year into Google, or go into manual lib. com and it should pop up worked with my 98

1 - 14 of 14 Posts