1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Concept seems decent but me ODI lock on grips is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
grip puppies look like foam, if so i'd be next to impossible to get mud off them .

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I have used Grab On grip sleeves for years on motorcycles and ATV's - $14.99 from Tucker Distributing and available at most motorcycle shops.

Spray some contact cleaner inside them and just slide them over the installed grips - alternate method; turn them inside out (that's the hard part) and get the end of the sleeve on the grip, then work the sleeve over itself until it is again inverted with the slick side inside and the rough side outside. A friend of mine insists on lubing them up with dish detergent or glass cleaner and sliding them on - he says when the soap dries it glues them in place and that glass cleaner evaporates too fast.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grip puppies look like foam, if so i'd be next to impossible to get mud off them .
Yep! in the picture they do look like foam to me also. Actually the Grab On sleeves that latebird mentioned look very similar to the Grip Puppies to me. Mud would not really be a big problem for me because I really don't do the deep water mudding thing,basically I trail ride with moderate water and mud crossings.

I really like the looks of the ODI Rogues bp405 mentioned, those are some nice looking grips and look plenty beefy for what I want. Only thing you would need to remove your oem grips to install those. Originally I wanted to keep the oem grips intact and just do a slip over like the Grip Puppies or the Grab On sleeves,but have not decided for sure which way to go at this time.

I appreciate you all's recommendations, more to check out now. :smile

Tony

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yep! in the picture they do look like foam to me also. Actually the Grab On sleeves that latebird mentioned look very similar to the Grip Puppies to me. Mud would not really be a big problem for me because I really don't do the deep water mudding thing,basically I trail ride with moderate water and mud crossings.

I really like the looks of the ODI Rogues bp405 mentioned, those are some nice looking grips and look plenty beefy for what I want. Only thing you would need to remove your oem grips to install those. Originally I wanted to keep the oem grips intact and just do a slip over like the Grip Puppies or the Grab On sleeves,but have not decided for sure which way to go at this time.

I appreciate you all's recommendations, more to check out now. :smile

Tony
its really no big deal to cut original grips off with a Olfa knife, most motorcycle shops sell glue to hold replacement grips.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after pondering it over more and more I believe I've been persuaded by bp405 suggestion to the ODI Rogues. I really like the looks of those particular grips, quite beefy looking compared to the oem Polaris grips and the install looks to be simple,no glue to fool with on those ODI lock-ons.:smile

I contacted ODI through email a few day's ago on the size recommendation for my 08 PS 500 Touring and I never got any response back from them. They offer the 120mm or 130mm ODI Rogues, but what size do I need for my 08 PS. I got out the ole digital calipers and on my 08 PS 500 the stock grips I'm measuring 112mm in length. So I'm assuming I'll have to move my controls inward a bit for the 120mm ODI grips to even fit.

Also measured my 05 Suzuki Eiger 400 stock grips and they would need the 130mm grips if I decide to change those over to the ODI Rogues also.

Tony

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
It's unlikely ODI will recommend a grip length, but I installed one set of ODI grips and that was some time ago. IIRC the advertised length is overall length - if you have 120 mm of handlebar exposed, then get 120 mm grips, but minor re-positioning of the controls may still be necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts