Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys looking for some options here. I've found that when I ride 2 up I tend to bottom out a lot more then usual, even in places I wouldn't when I'm by myself. What would be the safest and easiest way to gain some extra ground clearance? I haven't touched the rear suspension yet so I'm guessing that might help a little if I tighten the springs but what other options do I have without causing any driveline issues?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Tighten up you springs.

Next step is HD springs or taller tires.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about going to a taller tire but if i stay with a 12" wheel will I still get extra clearance from a 27 or 28" tire?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
777 Posts
Wheel size has nothing to do with ground clearance. If the suspension is bottoming out taller tires won't help either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes.

Reguardless of the diameter of your wheel, the diameter of your Tire is still the same. The only difference between a 12" and 14" rim is sidewall height of the tire. Less sidewall = less "Smoosh" in the tire.

Large sidewalls are better overall for traction and absorbing impacts, as the tire can be smooshed in further essentially grabbing onto terrain and providing a larger surface area to the object. However it also allows the tire to "roll" some side to side which affects cornering.

Smaller sidewalls offer less flex, but enhance handling at speed while cornering as the tire will flex less side to side when making turns.

A 26" tire is 26" from the outside edge to the outside edge of the wheel.
a 25" tire is 1" total more compact edge to edge.

Each Inch of tire diameter greater than 25" (stock size), will give you about 1/2" of lift.

^ the above may or may not include the tread depth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts