Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for best gun scabbard for a 17 Sportsman 570 with metal rack on the rear? All I'm seeing are ones that mount to the holes in the plastic rear rack that I no longer have. Thanx!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Kolpin sells a universal one that should mount up to the metal rack. I like my metal rack so much better than the plastic one even with losing the lock and ride function

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I will check out Kolpin's site. Yes, I agree the rear plastic rack is useless, can't even strap a cooler down on it without it sliding around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered the Boottector bracket (seems to be universal fit), and the strongbow case. Will take pics when installed. Tough choice between strongbow and gunboot iv, may end up with both.

·
Registered
428 Posts
sweet, glad you found something that will work for you.

Have you put the front tough rack on your sportsman too or just the rear? Ive been debating on the front one

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Have you put the front tough rack on your sportsman too or just the rear? Ive been debating on the front one
I just have the rear, it was necessary to be able to rachet strap coolers of 'soft drinks' to the new machine. I haven't seen the front one in person and am somewhat reluctant. I do use the front compartment quite often for various things. It even doubles as a cooler sometimes, although it doesn't keep ice too long with the radiator right there.

·
Registered
428 Posts

I just have the rear, it was necessary to be able to rachet strap coolers of 'soft drinks' to the new machine. I haven't seen the front one in person and am somewhat reluctant. I do use the front compartment quite often for various things. It even doubles as a cooler sometimes, although it doesn't keep ice too long with the radiator right there.
Yes, i also have a 'soft drink' cooler and mine and it does quite well for that. Im the same way with the front. I like the idea of it but im not sure how strong it will be mounted to the existing plastic lid (which I have a ton of stuff in, compressor, tools, plugs, belt, etc)

·
Registered
130 Posts
hey
this idea i have may not be suitable for you but I took a shotgun scabbard and zap strapped it to the side of my sportsman . when Im in the back of my property I can grab it if needed . ( hopefully never)
already had the scabbard and wasn't really using it much. works for now anyhow
Glenn.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey
this idea i have may not be suitable for you but I took a shotgun scabbard and zap strapped it to the side of my sportsman . when Im in the back of my property I can grab it if needed . ( hopefully never)
already had the scabbard and wasn't really using it much. works for now anyhow
Glenn.
That's not a bad setup and I may have to copy that! Not exactly what I was looking for but I think I will steal the idea in addition to the full scabbard I ordered. I have used just the open "Y" things before on the front racks, which is fine for creeping, and I ride around with a rifle slung over my back, but neither of those are ideal for banging around and going quickly through mud. Especially with AR pattern rifles, which in NH technically can not be loaded while on an ATV, so you have a huge open mag well for dust and mud to get into, plus mud getting into the muzzle, just asking for headaches. I do strap hard cases to the racks, but it's kind of a chore and not quick access. The private trails that I ride on, when there hasn't been rain in a few days, get really dusty.

P.S. I thought you guys couldn't have guns in canadia? j/k :grin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the kolpin gun boot installed, love it! I have it so the boot is inline with the outside edge of the fenders. The bracket would have fit nicer if I let the boot hang off the edge but I am afraid it would get caught on a branch and don’t want to find out what would happen!

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nice, looks like it fits good

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
with how high up that sits, you still might catch it on stuff. Caught an angled log with the armrest of the truck/seat I used to have the the Hawkeye.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ThorsHammer, That angle is deceiving. I used that angle to show far out the scabbard sticks out from the body. I haven't had any issues with it catching on anything yet in 2 seasons. In this pic it shows better. It is below my shoulders but, I am 6'6"

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
303, looks like you have yours positioned a little further forward. Mine is still temporarily in its position(haven’t trimmed the long bolts yet) for testing. I like it back so I can get on/off either side of the machine, but it still may get moved

·
Registered
127 Posts
AR556, I mounted as far forward as possible so I can still use the locknride set up. I did have to drill a hole in the mounting plate for the gun boot. I made that hole just big enough for the bolt to go through but, not the lnr plug/anchor. That's also why I used the insulated clamp. Those insulated clamps fit just perfect on the rack extenders, so I keep a couple with me when I'm riding. You never know how handy those can be even as tie down points
Originally I was hoping to mount the gun boot almost straight up and down but, couldn't get that the way I wanted, short of a lot of welding.(Similar to the oem bracket)
As for getting on and off the machine so far the interference is minor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts