Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got back from a 40 mile trip through the desert, I was inspecting the bike, this was my 3rd ride and first time noticing that there was a split in the oil tank vent hose. The plastic nipple had come loose as well, not thinking I cut the hose so I can match it to get a new one. I replaced the line and replaced the plastic fitting with a nice brass one. The problem is I found that slit is supposed to be there... What purpose is that if it vents into the air box. Is it needed or should I be fine with it just venting into the air box... Makes no sense that it should be there...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
IIRC that slit is in the line due to water vapor. Any engine will have blow-by where exhaust gas will pass by the rings and down into the crank case. With those gasses will be water vapor. When its cold out, there have been known issues with that vapor condensing and forming an ice plug in the hose somewhere. Well as you keep driving, the pressure in the vent line will continue to build up and then it would split open the oil tanks; puking oil everywhere and usually catastrophic engine failure from oil loss.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, ok makes sense, now I live in arizona, coldest it usually gets is not much lower then 40 degrees. I don't think anything will be freezing plus the bike is stored inside, think I'll be fine?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If it were my bike, I'd put the slit back in the line...why chance it? A $0.00 mod to a little hose vs $$$ on a potential engine rebuild because I took it on a trip years later where its below freezing and blow an oil tank apart?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts