Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, frequent reader but new member and glad to finally join the community. I love my polaris and every single of the 3700 miles I've put on it.

I've ridden Taylor Park numerous times, Silverton/Ouray and the Paiute a couple times each, and the Bighorns of WY once. Although all of these areas I've been to are unique, they all offer great rocky trails, scenic mountain passes, views so beautiful you can't describe, great fishing and wildlife, and for the most part you can unload for a week or 2 and throw the truck keys in the garbage. Here is my question:

We are considering headed east next year to Hatfield McCoy. Have any of you been to any of the western places I've mentioned above as well as WV for a comparison? How does it compare in terms of the highlights I mentioned above? I'm worried the views and overall experience won't compare. For us, we love riding but it's more about the sights and experiences and the ATV's serve more as our preferred method to accomplish those things. I can ride muddy trails near home (MO AR areas) and don't want to get all that way and be disappointed in comparison to our experiences on the western trails.

Any unbiased opinions are appreciated. And if anyone has any questions about any of those western trails please shoot, I know them all fairly well.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have done both and I would pick Utah all day long. The scenery is good at H&M but the scenery in Utah is that much better. I have done 2 1000 mile rides across Utah and saw all kinds of scenery while camping on the trails or staying in motels. Do not limit yourself to the Piaute. Try to hit the Arapeen for a few days or even the Pink Cliffs down at Ruby's Inn. The Arapeen has tons of 50 inch trails and the scenery is great and it is cool in September during the fall colors. Utal all the way.

Ronnie

·
Registered
322 Posts
WV is my home riding area but I have ridden Taylor Park a couple of times, Paiute twice, Moab, and .Arapeen. Completely different riding environment. WV will not compare scenic wise to the Rockies or the mountains in Utah. A lot of trails out west are BLM or USFS roads while WV will be mostly tight trails through woods with creeks. People in WV have no idea what a MVUM is.
The HM trails for the most part are not connected, you would have to move at least if you are here for a week. There are a lot of Outlaw Trails (non HM) in WV you could also ride.
WV trail elevation changes are measured in a few hundred feet not thousands like out west.
Don't get me wrong I love WV ATV riding but I am not sure how you would like it especially after driving that far. (MO isn't really that far though)
I mostly ride Outlaw Trails and the 3 southern HM trails, which have a combinations of tight trails, mud, lots of creek crossings, etc.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Hello all, frequent reader but new member and glad to finally join the community. I love my polaris and every single of the 3700 miles I've put on it.

I've ridden Taylor Park numerous times, Silverton/Ouray and the Paiute a couple times each, and the Bighorns of WY once. Although all of these areas I've been to are unique, they all offer great rocky trails, scenic mountain passes, views so beautiful you can't describe, great fishing and wildlife, and for the most part you can unload for a week or 2 and throw the truck keys in the garbage. Here is my question:

We are considering headed east next year to Hatfield McCoy. Have any of you been to any of the western places I've mentioned above as well as WV for a comparison? How does it compare in terms of the highlights I mentioned above? I'm worried the views and overall experience won't compare. For us, we love riding but it's more about the sights and experiences and the ATV's serve more as our preferred method to accomplish those things. I can ride muddy trails near home (MO AR areas) and don't want to get all that way and be disappointed in comparison to our experiences on the western trails.

Any unbiased opinions are appreciated. And if anyone has any questions about any of those western trails please shoot, I know them all fairly well.

Thanks
I have been to HM trails 5 times and Utah 1 time. They are completely different and both unique. WVa trails are narrow jaunts through the woods, with creeks to cross and usually plenty of MUD and I mean plenty at times....something I'm sure you're not used to. The west is much more scenic and there are some trails at HM that you might not have a scenic overlook all day. I'd say technically both east and west will satisfy you. Some of the trails at HM are actually scary at times, not because of their elevation but because of some of the sheer drops some on the black and black diamond (difficult and extremely difficult) trails can present. I love going to HM but I also am going back to Utah in September for a ride on the Paiute, and am looking forward to it. You will not get any of that wide open spaces feeling that you get out west....at HM, but I think you would be missing out if you don't go to HM at least once and give it a try. Great people in WVa and very atv friendly towns. Good riding

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

Thanks
I have been to HM trails 5 times and Utah 1 time. They are completely different and both unique. WVa trails are narrow jaunts through the woods, with creeks to cross and usually plenty of MUD and I mean plenty at times....something I'm sure you're not used to. The west is much more scenic and there are some trails at HM that you might not have a scenic overlook all day. I'd say technically both east and west will satisfy you. Some of the trails at HM are actually scary at times, not because of their elevation but because of some of the sheer drops some on the black and black diamond (difficult and extremely difficult) trails can present. I love going to HM but I also am going back to Utah in September for a ride on the Paiute, and am looking forward to it. You will not get any of that wide open spaces feeling that you get out west....at HM, but I think you would be missing out if you don't go to HM at least once and give it a try. Great people in WVa and very atv friendly towns. Good riding
I don't know what your route is to Utah Vandal but you really need to take a day and ride the Arapeen or the Pink Cliffs down by Ruby's Inn. Google both and take a look and I guarantee you will think me for the idea after riding them.

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Thanks
I don't know what your route is to Utah Vandal but you really need to take a day and ride the Arapeen or the Pink Cliffs down by Ruby's Inn. Google both and take a look and I guarantee you will think me for the idea after riding them.

Ronnie
Ronnie, we will be driving out I-70 after flying to Denver. I will google the places you stated, but with 7 of us going don't know how flexible this trip will be. Thanks buddy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, great feedback guys I greatly appreciate it. Your input is sort of confirming the thoughts I've had. I really picked up on the comment about not getting that wide open feeling out west provides as well as limited types of overlooks. Having said all of that, I also know HM may be the most popular riding area in the country and I've heard many times the towns and folks are very ATV friendly, Utah is great in that regard too but Colorado is definitely not in an overall sense. I have seen some things about the Arapeen and it has my interests peaked. I'm going to share these thoughts as well as any others that post with my crew and try to make a decision about the summer of 2016.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Utah is the most friendliest state to ride in. Kids rid them to school, football practice and so on. In Ut you can street legal your ATV if you live there. Hands down no better riding in the USA. If you ride the Arapeen might as well ride the Gooseberry since you are in the area. The Gooseberry south is South of I70 and the Gooseberry north is north of I70. They are both just a few miles south of the Arapeen. A great ride for you guys would be start at the Arapeen and and head south a little and connect to the Gooseberry north. Ride the Gooseberry noth to Salina for lunch then take a different route on the Gooseberry back to the Arapeen. Beautiful ride with great scenery.

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
I haven't been out west yet and from what I can tell there are some amazing sights out west. One day I'll get out there. But as for HMT I have been several times and planning a second round for this year in the fall. I definetly agree that the scenery isn't comparable between the two and I'll have to yield to the been there done that's as to the technical aspect. But from my experiences at Hatfield&McCoy the extreme factor is totally there if u want to push your and the machines limits with lots of tight technical slippery trails that can get steep quick. To give u an example of not crazy but crazy stupid my buddy and I split up from our group last time down and hit some closed trails needless to say there were points when it required leaning into the mountain while keeping both eyes on the trail because the rock slide or section of washed out trail only made it possible for a total of 3 tires to remain in contact with the ground at a time. I think if and when u decide to hit WV it will totally be worth it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
When we rode the Arapeen and Devil's Racetrack we stayed in Ferron, UT.

·
Registered
765 Posts

Thanks
I've ridden Hatfield McCoy and Royal Blue in TN. The riding is very comparable to Arkansas. If I were to go east it would be in the fall mid to late October when the color is at its best....but of course Arkansas and even places in southwest MO like Glade Top will be just as beautiful.

For the distance and cost I'd go to Colorado. I've never rode the Pauite or Arapeen trails but I have rode in Moab. It was hard for me to drive to Moab and not stop in Colorado. Your not going to get the continuous high mtn views any where else like colorado. Plus, all the mining history and wildlife potential. I think it depends on what you value in your riding experience. A lot of these guys have listed great places to ride, and eventually I'll ride more in Utah, but again is hard for me to drive through colorado and go an extra 200-300 miles when i could be riding rather than driving.

I like living in the mid west because while we have to drive to get to get west or east, I can be to Colorado or WV all in a days drive.

Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
We have been to rrblue,WV,Bighorns,and Utah. We loved the Bighorns the best as Utah was way too dusty and dry. Where in MO is a good place to go? We have been to St Joe and Leerjak when it was open.

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Theirs both roads and trails. I've ridden my ranger down there, but you won't get a 60 inch side by side down all the trails without having to work at it. In my opinion Missouri is not very atv friendly. The Mark Twain NF forest has a lot of riding opportunities all over the state but not enough money to manage it properly. Trying to figure what type of permits you need and where to buy them is a pain. Not to mention they require atvs to have a slow moving vehicle sign and whip flag on the trails. tight trails + whip flag = dumb rule and a broken flag! LOL!

Shoot me a PM if you need any more info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate all the feedback. I've done some research based on the mention of Glade Top and I'm going to check it out with the family. Maybe some day I will get to WV but from what I gather southern MO and AR offer similar rides and views and I can be there from KC much quicker! Thinking my summer trips will continue to be out west. I love the views and open space of those areas too much and it doesn't sound like anything else reasonably accessible from MO compares.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts