Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have had my sportsman for almost two years and have had the same problems that i cant figure out since.

I cant get the awd to work in reverse but works in forward (yes im holding the yellow button and it does work once in a blue moon), when riding it seems like the speed limiter is kickin in at 30 mph, over the spring my battery died and now my speedo is very spuratic and the needle jumps around while riding.

I just found out about the hall sensor sometimes going bad and was wondering if that could be causin all my problems or if its the speedo or something else. Other than these issues the four wheeler runs like a top and starts right up every time.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the hall effect sensor will not effect AWD....have you changed the fluid in the hubs lately...I do them twice a year...

·
8,875 Posts
the hall effect sensor will not effect AWD....have you changed the fluid in the hubs lately...I do them twice a year...
Not true al53. A bad Hall sensor can cause the speedo to jump around wildly in reverse and will make AWD function in reverse sporadic just as the OP described that his machine was doing. I've repaired more than one that was doing that.

To the OP....replacing the Hall sensor may solve your problem but the part you describe about seeming like the limiter affecting it at 30 mph may or may not be solved. The limiter function is in the cdi module on that machine.
If it were mine, I'd first try replacing the sensor.
Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think mine is stuck at 30mph also and my speedo doesn't work at all but my 4WD works fine. What can limit it to 30MPH and how can I bypass it to check it?

My 04 600 cluster all works but the speedo needle don't move. I had the quad on jacks stands and put in gear and at slow speed the rear tires turn and then when i rev more all 4 turn fine. I put it in 4wd and all 4 turn just fine and when i ride it seems okay but no speedo needle moving. Can I clean the wheel sensor maybe? I can't find a new on online anywhere under $65

How can I test for it? Can I just drive it and see if the mileage goes up and then if it does just replace the hall sensor or will that test not be good enough?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts