Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I put on my hand warmers and also received a thumb warmer, but did not install the thumb warmer as I did not want to drill 2 holes in my pod, my Question is can I just install the thumb warmer and wire it to the same switch as the hand warmers (both same brand and each came with the same switch), or does it need to use its own switch?? I really do not want 2 switches/holes on my pod.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would suggest checking with place where you bought them or the mfgr but I can tell you that the wires are very small even when running both. I put the symtec with had and thumb on my last quad and have one to install now on my current one.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You may be able to just plug the thumb warmer right into the grip wiring hub that the grips plug into. Are the grips the dual zone ? If the warmer came with the grips you should be able to plug them together and use the same switch for both. Im guessing you originally mounted your switch on the handle bar. Do you still have the instructions , if not you can get them online. Search - symtec dual zone instructions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Last year I put on my hand warmers and also received a thumb warmer, but did not install the thumb warmer as I did not want to drill 2 holes in my pod, my Question is can I just install the thumb warmer and wire it to the same switch as the hand warmers (both same brand and each came with the same switch), or does it need to use its own switch?? I really do not want 2 switches/holes on my pod.
I looked at doing that and decided that the wiring was so thin I didn't want to run thet many amps through it. Ended up putting grips and thumb warmer circuit on separate power as well.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Most snowmobiles ran one switch for the hand and thumb for years. Then went to two, not because they needed to, but for the option to have the thumb stay on high and turn the grips to low. Or whatever combo you need. I know my hands are always warmer than my thumb. No issues tapping them both off the same switch.

But if you install the second switch, what's it matter? If you sell it someday are you going to remove the switches and leave the holes? Doubt it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just don't want to drill the second hole. And really don't want to have to hit both switches either, figure if my hands are cold so will my thumb.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I bought my used Sportsman X2 it had them already installed, and they are both on the same switch. No idea what brand.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Try to find a double pole-single throw switch....

·
Registered
39 Posts
grip hand/throttle wiring

I wired both to one switch no problem. 1) run power wire red from middle post on 3 way switch to orange/with white stripe accessory or cigarette lighter power. 2) run all brown wires together to a good ground. 3) run blue wires together to high temp post of toggle switch. 4) run white wire from grips and black wire from thumb to low temp post of toggle switch. Now you have warm hands/thumb together. Tip: mount switch on left side of pod so you can turn them on/off without taking hands off throttle while riding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The instructions for the thumb warmer say to connect the blue wire to the low temp not the high. But just the opposite for the hand warmers. I connected all the blue together on the high temp and it seems to be correct. Hope that helps some confusion for others,

·
Registered
42 Posts
You'll miss not being able to have them set at different levels.. I typically don't have them set the same ever and the adjustability is great. You can put two holes in the pod it's not that hard! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just actually did this yesterday. I'll try it for awhile and see how it is. But I do understand what you have said and I could always add the other switch sometime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts