Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Last night I was able to pick up a 2006 Sportsman 800 efi for $2900. I think it was a good deal. It has 123 hours on it and about 1200 miles. It came with handwarmers, rear work lights, alloy wheels, and a custom front bumper. It seems to be in good condition, only thing I noticed so far is plastics (red) are a little faded but that's not a big deal to me.

It did not come with a winch or a plow. I will need a plow. I started looking at prices and the Pure Polaris or Warn winches seem to be best, with the Glacier plow seeming to be the best as well, but boy are they pricey! The only thing I will need the winch for is to pick up the plow.

I have several specific, and general questions on this machine. I have had a few Sportsman's in the past but never an 800.

- If I get a pure Polaris 2500lb winch, does it come with EVERTHING needed to install and run it? I have never installed a winch before and I am not much of a mechanic.

- Should I consider a cheaper winch for what I need? Maybe one from walmart or tractor supply? They seem to run under $100 bucks. And would this come with everything needed such as wiring, mount, etc etc?

- What components do I need to piece together a plow? I wish they came in a kit.... If I am looking for used parts, which I would greatly prefer to save money, what all do I need?

- what years are compatible with this machine? Such as I know the 02-04 700's are basically the same machine, what year range does my 06 800 correspond with?

My last sportsman had the Warn winch and the Glacier plow setup and I was VERY happy with the ease of use. I would like something similar but am on a budget as well. I really liked the location of the of the control too with my left thumb, very easy to use.

What have you guys done on your 800's with a winch/plow setup? How much did it cost? Where did you find parts?

And finally, do you guys think I got a good deal on this machine? In comparison to other units I have looked at online, I think I did pretty ok.

ps: If anyone has a complete winch/plow setup they'd wanna sell i'd be interested haha.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I see I can get a Warn 2000 for $199.99 with cable or $279.99 with synthetic rope and there is also a $50 rebate right now.

Good option?

Most importantly, does that comes with all needed mounting hardware?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would check out atvsuperstore.com

I have bought a few items so far from Thor and his service and prices are great. He has several plows and can work with you to make sure you have everything you need for install complete from start to finish for plow and winch.

Do you have a front bumper? if so cable may touch this during plowing and you may want to customize or remove for winter. Also I'm looking into a plow strap for winter and not using the synthetic rope on the plow now.
On an 800 I like the 60" width so when fully turned to the side it still clears a wide enough path for the machine.

Lets see some pics sounds like you got a good deal. I paid more with more miles but around my area we don't see them for that price.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Be careful on the buying a mount.. get one that mounts under the machine to the frame and not the guard in front of the rad.. If you happen to hit something plowing it will drive the bolts directly into the rad and they are not cheap...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
No need to spend that much on a winch. A winch from TSC would be fine for plowing.
If you call warn they will tell you what you need as far as the plow, so kind of a kit, and they have the best price I could find( on plows NOT winches )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts