Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I installed a set of PowerMadd hand guards. To be honest I wasn't really impressed with the aesthetics. They just looked cheesy. I was able to acquire a set of the new style Pure Polaris guards for cheap so installed them today and snapped a cell phone pic showing the two:

Handguards.jpg

The Polaris ones look MUCH cleaner and look better IMO. The color matches perfectly and look like they actually belong on the ATV. They also mount farther away from the bars which is a benefit. They don't have the "vent" feature like the Power Madd ones do. The PMadds were hard plastic, where as the OEM are a soft touch plastic that is flexible. As far as protection I'd have to give the OEM ones the edge, but its minimal. Just handling each one the OEM's seem like they are better quality.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have been wanting a set of guards for mine. Really like the pure polaris ones. Red would match my suspension guards

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been debating getting some hand guards for my quad. I will have to take a closer look at the Pure Polaris offerings. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hand guards are nice, I wouldn't be without a set after having them.

Aaaaaand yeah I learned the hard way on this one.....get the Polaris guards

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Good info, thanks...... looked at the Popo ones last couple times I was at dealer. Want red/black ones to match the low pro shield and bike. Are these the sled ones or are they specific to quad? They are nice to have. Wife's bike had them before the cut-mid shield install.... that's what's made me want a set for mine!

But on the bright side you can install the PowerMadd's on the wife's quad.... and it's a win/win!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good info, thanks...... looked at the Popo ones last couple times I was at dealer. Want red/black ones to match the low pro shield and bike. Are these the sled ones or are they specific to quad? They are nice to have. Wife's bike had them before the cut-mid shield install.... that's what's made me want a set for mine!

But on the bright side you can install the PowerMadd's on the wife's quad.... and it's a win/win!
The red/black would look awesome on your ride !

There were two sets of instructions that came with the handguards, one for ATV's and one for Sleds. Mounting kits are purchased separately. The mounting kit was way better/quicker/cleaner than the pmadd mounting hardware.

I liked the Polaris ones so much more than the PMadd's that I ordered a second set for the wife's....PMadds will sit on the shelf until I figure out what to do with them:ponder:.

Handguard/mounting kit combo ordered for wifes machine from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-White-H...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d479e9d38&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
901 Posts
I had PM's on my Brute they looked decent but the install was a pain with all th estuff on the handlebars when I had my 850 I got the Polaris ones and the install was a snap and they looked great I would get the stock ones over the PM any day

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I like the OEM ones as well, Same flat black as the rest of my camo/black bike.
I got mine for wind and brush scarping my knuckles and they are holding up just fine after almost 3 years..

·
Registered
575 Posts
acerbis is the only way to go IMO

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ I don't even know how to pronounce that

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hahaha :rotflmao:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Does polaris still use the plastic mounting brackets?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No they are metal with a rubber-like coating very good quality

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I just ordered a set of the acerbis..I like how they mount an have good room for using hand brake...plus lots of parts for them if they break...

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ass-er-bus ?

Their mounting hardware looks similar to PMadds with additional spacers, washers, and such.

The OEM came with 2 brackets, 2 nuts, and 2 screws. Took me half the time to install FOUR Polaris ones as it did just one PMadd. Throttle side installs on the bottom of the throttle assembly. The headlight/killswitch side installed on the brake lever body (not the lever itself) LOTS of clearance between guards and grips and Used ZERO room on the handlebars.

Do the acers mount on the bars?

EDIT: Found out they do indeed bar mount and come with a bag of universal hardware. No Thanks.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahhh now I see they have different ''models''

You'll have to report back how ya like them after you get them installed and taken them for a test run. Curious as to how that end mount insert will do.

And good lord the price those things cost I picked up a brush guard for my wife's machine for less!!! And it was the Deluxe model LOL

1 - 20 of 42 Posts