Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4. Im not to sure where to begin when it comes with parts to order. You can move the handlebars left and right about 2 inches each way without the tires moving at all. Where should I begin to tighten this up. It is a horrible feeling when going 25mph down a trail.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Steering tie rod ends sound like they're shot.... both inner and outer. Easily replaced though with either OEM parts or aftermarket. I replaced them on a 500ho recently. I took the added step of packing them with BRP/OMC Triple Guard marine grease as the boots tend to get full of mud.

Mark

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
At the top of the handle bars just below the headlamp pod is a bushing. It is 2 pieces. 1 is hard plastic it goes on the front side where the grease alemite is and the other one is polyurethane rubber.
Replace those and it should be fine. The bolts that hold them have nuts on them. I think a 7/16" is the size socket you will need.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
The bushings have to come from Polaris dealer. Them tie rods look like they will work. I think that might be a little high. What about that epi brand? I get mine from my work and they are all balls brand. You will need 2 kits to replace all 4 tie rod ends. A kit includes one inner and one outer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just walked out and checked the sportsman slop out. It is on the upper side of the handlebars. When I moved the bars, I looked down at the tie rods and they didnt budge, i feel like the slop is on the upper side near the headlight like you were saying?? thoughts? and what is the name for the bushing? Is it easy enough for me to do myself?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The guys over at Gen3USA forum came up with an upgrade for the upper steering stem bushing. First measure the diameter of your steering stem, then go to your local parts house that carries Energy Suspension parts (Advanced Auto & Auto-Zone) by me. If your stem is 7/8" order part #9.5158 9.5158 Energy Suspension Universal - Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings 7/8 in / 22mm or for a 1" order part #9.5161 9.5161 Energy Suspension Universal - Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings 1in / 25mm. These are automotive sway bar bushings and are greasable. The only modification needed is to drill the mounting holes on the quad to 3/8" and get 2 bolts & lock nuts (3/8" x 1"). The bushings come in pairs, so if you know someone with the same problem you could split the cost of the kit. (Kit runs between $15-$20). Then just remove the factory one, drill and install the new one. As far as tie rods go, I bought mine on Flea-bay from American Star Auto. All 4 for $48.95 w/free shipping. 4 Polaris Sportsman 500 98 09 Tie Rod Ends by American Star | eBay . Buddy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the upper bushing is out of the question. Tore into the top of the bike yesterday and replaced. Still acting the same way. I don't think there is any play in the tie rods. Any other thoughts. One person mentioned lower steering bushing? How would you access this? Looks like it is behind the radiator?

·
Registered
99 Posts
They can be a pain to get at.One way to check it is by holding onto one of the wheels and looking at the bottom of the steering stem while someone moves the handle bars back and forth to see if there is any movement.It doesn't take much movement to telegragh to the bars.Sometimes it's hard to see the movement.If the tie rod ends and upper bushing are good it almost has to be on the bottom.

·
11,983 Posts
You'll have to get the front off the ground to really tell where the slack is. Otherwise your just guessing. It could be steering bushings, tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, A arm bushings or a combination of some or all of the above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts