Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed handwarmers on a 2000 325 magnum. I picked up power from a wire which was ignition controlled and which a previous owner had tied the winch to. I now suspect it was a headlight wire. On a recent hunting trip my son rode the bike for about twenty minutes before the headlights went dead (very very dim). We shut off the handwarmers which did not help. The brake light continued to work fine which kind of tells me the stator was working. Back in camp I cut the handwarmer power wire and the headlights then worked fine with the bike running, but the battery would not charge up enough to work the starter regardless of how long we ran the bike. The battery is four months old. Suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would check battery voltage first. You should have around 12 volts with the machine off, if not, charge your battery. Then check it running, should get 13-14 volts (you may have to rev it up a little to make it charge). If you do not, then it is not charging. If you do get 13-14 volts, I would then check the voltage at your headlight to make sure you have about 12 volts to it. that is where I would start, once you eliminate the battery and the charging, then you can start looking at other things. As for the starter problem, like I said, you will have to eliminate the other things first. Then we can start looking at other problems.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
if its not showing charge at battery with a multi-meter, its usually the voltage regulator, located in front of radiator

·
Registered
251 Posts
Actually, you should have about 12.7v. on a multimeter with no charging or drain on the battery. 12v is dead battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
12.7 is what it should read fully charged, it can read as low as 11.5 and still have enough power to start the quad. Either way, we will need a battery reading with the quad off as well as on before making any assumptions as to what the real problem is. And if the battery does not read 12.7 ish, then I would charge it to that with a charger before checking it with the quad running.

·
Registered
251 Posts
A battery holding 11.5v is a discharged no good battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
A battery that is 4 months old that has an 11.5 volt charge may very well be a good battery if the machine is not charging it. That is why I told him to check it, and charge it back to 12.5, then to check it on the machine, if the machine is not charging, it is a good possibility that the battery is good and the charging system is no good. I had the same problem with mine last week, the battery light was flashing on my machine because it would not charge, the volts at the battery were reading 11.8 on a volt meter with the machine off, and would not charge with the machine on.. I charged the battery, and fixed the machine, now it charges fine and the battery holds a charge of 12.7 volts. So now I will wait for him to post his results and we can go from there to fix his problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help guys. I will post readings as soon as I have a chance to do them. Unfortunately work always seems to get in the way of recreation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got a chance to take some readings. 14.7 across the terminals with the bike running. 13.3 with the bike off. Still only getting a clicking when I activate the starter. I am starting to suspect the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Charging system and battery are good, I would now check to see if you have voltage going thru the solenoid when you turn the key. You will need a second person, have them turn the key and check both sides of the solenoid for voltage. One side should have a constant voltage (before key is turned), and when you turn the key the other side of the solenoid should have voltage,(you could also check it at the starter). But this still does not explain the dim lights with the hand warmers on. If you can, I would wire the hand warmers straight to the battery with an on/off switch to control it as opposed to splicing the factory wiring. Could be you had a bad ground with the hand warmers causing a dim light??? not too sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will check out the solenoid as soon as I can get some help. The bad ground may be on the money. I grounded to the frame and maybe didn't get it as clean as I should have. Didn't go direct to the battery as I wanted the warmers to shut off with the ignition to avoid accidently discharging the battery by forgetting the warmers on. I will find a better spot though. Where the hell is the fuse block on these things?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked the solenoid. 12.7 going in but only 11.3 coming out. Will clean up all the connections and recheck but I am thinking the solenoid is bad.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You should check to see if that voltage is making it to the starter. I was having troubles with my bike, the battery was not charging, I was only getting 11.8 volts at the battery but it would still turn over, Just do the same test at the starter, if you get voltage right to the starter, I would say the starter is toast. The other thing you could do is jump a wire across the solenoid and see if that will turn over the bike. If it does, then I would say it is the solenoid. You may just have a dead spot on the starter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts