Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
Kinda new to the forum, but a while back I asked you guys a million questions after I bought a new 2015 570SP.
One of the questions that I had, and one of my minor complaints was regarding the location of the battery...down underneath and in front of the engine. It's really hard to get to, and a serious pain to access for things like jumper cables, and my Battery Tender.
I put a plow on mine to remove snow this winter, but I still don't run it enough to keep the battery charged, so I wanted to plug in the battery tender, but not go through all of the trouble of removing the battery for storage.
After whining about the battery location in a post, someone replied with pictures of his machine that included a quick connect plug in for the battery terminals....so...I stole this idea from him. (This guy had his machine all tricked out for ice fishing I think...pretty cool setup).

Anyways, I thought you guys might be interested in what I did. I bought some heavy duty quick connect two pole plugs, and made a remote access point inside the front luggage compartment. I put a similar plug on my jumper cables, and on my Battery Tender. Now, all I have to do when I need to charge or jump will be to open the front compartment, and the plug is right there and easy to get to....no lying on the ground or removing the battery cover. :)

I don't really know how to load the pictures so that I can write captions....but I included a couple pics anyways....in case anyone wanted to have a look.

I ran out of the plugs, but later I will use one as a cap so that the open ends aren't exposed inside the compartment.
All I did was to use some 6 gauge wire to make the connections directly to the battery. After figuring out how long to make the wires, I cut them and soldered battery terminal lugs onto one end, and the Anderson plug lugs onto the other. The part that took the most time was trying to get the wires to the battery so that they were out of the way. I drilled a couple holes where I wanted to mount the plug, and secured it with a couple of 6-32 screws. The lugs for the plug itself just snap into the plug, and the plugs easily snap into each other.
Connected the wires to the battery, sealed the holes with a little silicone sealer and I've got it trickle charging on the battery tender right now to keep it fresh.

Now....just waiting for spring!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah... I almost forgot about this. While I was unhooking the battery, I saw this on the fender.

This is going to take some of the fun out of it!! :irked:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Great set up.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Nicely done bullseyeguy! And great write-up too. I may try something similar on my sporties for ez'r tender hookups (without removing my seats in my case). :cowboy:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Very slick.......

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Looks nice, but dang brother, talk about overkill. You honestly could've just gotten away with some 12/10ga wire and a 2 prong weather pack, or just made an extention with the factory wiring that comes with the tender :)

Anybody else wanting to do this you can stop by a trailer repair store or hit amazon, they sell electric trailer brake wiring, it's 2- 10ga-14ga wires (depending what you want) in a single HD plastic sleeve (anybody that's worked on trailer brakes knows the gray shielding I'm talking about) and it's pretty cheap, I just buy 50' spools to keep on hand since it's handy for doing hot/ground circuits.
Here's a quick example I just found
Electric Brakes Wire Duplex 14ga Per-ft- 62143 | Electric Brake Wiring & Battery | Alpine Ind | TrailerPartsDepot.com

I just use the 2 prong plug that comes with the tender and then install same plug end on accessories so I can just plug stuff in as it's already a fused link direct to battery, worked great for the sprayer last yr for example, and cheap too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really

Thanks, but I can't jump start it with that. Part of the problem that I wanted to solve was creating an easy place to hook up jumper cables since the machine only has E start. ...otherwise, yeah, I would have just taken 12 ga wire off of the block.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Well for future reference, most 12v chargers have selectors for
2amp, 10/12/15 amp, then a 50 or 100 amp engine start

12/10ga wire will handle everything but the 50/100amp, and these aren't 8 cylinder beasts with alot of compression requiring massive starter loads to spin over. Even with a dead dead battery, a few minutes on a 12/15amp charger and it'll turn over like a new one, then just have to figure out why battery shit the bed to begin with or replace it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if mine does or not, but I would have to take a really long extension cord with me if I am out riding.

But you are right...I AM all about overkill!

(I liked the "Dang Brother!!" I can picture a buddy of mine with a funny look on his face telling me that too!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks awesome Bullseyeguy, thats exactly what I want to do, but I'm going to use a remote battery terminal only because I use a NOCO Genius Battery Pack/Booster. Thank you for posting this

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys.
Kinda new to the forum, but a while back I asked you guys a million questions after I bought a new 2015 570SP.
One of the questions that I had, and one of my minor complaints was regarding the location of the battery...down underneath and in front of the engine. It's really hard to get to, and a serious pain to access for things like jumper cables, and my Battery Tender.
I put a plow on mine to remove snow this winter, but I still don't run it enough to keep the battery charged, so I wanted to plug in the battery tender, but not go through all of the trouble of removing the battery for storage.
After whining about the battery location in a post, someone replied with pictures of his machine that included a quick connect plug in for the battery terminals....so...I stole this idea from him. (This guy had his machine all tricked out for ice fishing I think...pretty cool setup).

Anyways, I thought you guys might be interested in what I did. I bought some heavy duty quick connect two pole plugs, and made a remote access point inside the front luggage compartment. I put a similar plug on my jumper cables, and on my Battery Tender. Now, all I have to do when I need to charge or jump will be to open the front compartment, and the plug is right there and easy to get to....no lying on the ground or removing the battery cover. :)

I don't really know how to load the pictures so that I can write captions....but I included a couple pics anyways....in case anyone wanted to have a look.

I ran out of the plugs, but later I will use one as a cap so that the open ends aren't exposed inside the compartment.
All I did was to use some 6 gauge wire to make the connections directly to the battery. After figuring out how long to make the wires, I cut them and soldered battery terminal lugs onto one end, and the Anderson plug lugs onto the other. The part that took the most time was trying to get the wires to the battery so that they were out of the way. I drilled a couple holes where I wanted to mount the plug, and secured it with a couple of 6-32 screws. The lugs for the plug itself just snap into the plug, and the plugs easily snap into each other.
Connected the wires to the battery, sealed the holes with a little silicone sealer and I've got it trickle charging on the battery tender right now to keep it fresh.

Now....just waiting for spring!
I had the same problem. I often have to jump it for lack of use. It is not always near power to maintain it.

Here is what I did.

Since my Polaris 500HO came with a pre installed Winch cable from the Batt, I had an extra home run cable from my superwinch kit. I used it to create a hot terminal in the storage tray like yourself. I used remote battery terminal block with caps. I ground to frame.

For Tender I used the pigtail that came with it.

But I like yours as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So--simplification repeated: I have 570sp Ace Sportsman--battery is to left of seat--requires removal of seat and plastic side panel (with cup holder) but it is still hard to access terminals with typical charger clamps. Your (collectively) solution is to wire permanently to terminals and bring up with insulation for easier access to charger clamps? Are there longer clips to attach to charger and then to battery terminals which would obviate the need for wires?

Thanks....what's so great about 'standing up to pee' anyway?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello MsJoe,

I used a connector at the end of the leads that terminated in the front compartment. I simply made a lead that used the same connector to my battery tender, and I also removed the clamps and did the same thing with a set of jumper cables. Now I just plug the connector in, and I am connected to the proper leads on the battery.
Not sure if it would help you that much. My battery is underneath, and a bitch to get to if you needed to access the terminals.

Cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts