Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Polaris folk! I just bought a Sportsman 570 (my first ATV) and I need something to cart it around with. I’ve been on craigslist but haven’t been too impressed with the offerings / prices. I noticed these trailers on Harbor Freight and wondered if anyone had any experience or thoughts about the idea of throwing my new atv on one? Is an 870lb trailer cutting it too close for a 700lb atv? They also have a 1080lb trailer for $50 more. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Remember the weight is a dry weight. That seems awfully close to me. For the 50$ more I would bump up a size.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You won't get the 570 on that small a trailer. The wheelbase alone is 50" on your machine. I have the 1720 lb. one and put my 550XP on it. It works, but I'm thinking of going with a larger and stronger trailer. Wheels are kind of small and I worry about failure.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
the Horrible fright trailers are not something I would spend my money one if I were you. Get something that is meant to last. not something that will make due. You just spent 6-8 grand on a machine. don't you think you should protect that investment when you're deciding on what to tow it with? You get what you pay for. and good trailers cost good money. But you can find good deals on trailers on CL if you're patient. I got my 6'x14' tandem axle for $700. I've done a lot of work to it and put about $700 more into in tires, wheels, hubs, ramps, anchor points, and cross members. were I to try to buy the trailer new it would cost about $2400. but The work I did was not something that can be done by just anyone. you need to be an experienced welder who can make sound welds in all positions before you even think about working on items that travel down the road at freeway speeds. Either up your budget or be patient and wait for the right deal on CL.

Don't get me wrong. Harbor freight is not all bad. But I have Serious reservations when it comes to bolt together trailers.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I saw that 5x8 at our nearby tractor supply. The trailer looks well built & sturdy. Going to get one myself before long. The harbor freight 870lb may not be sturdy enough.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Harbor freight makes the crappiest crap there is! Bought a tool set and socket broke first time i used it and the extension twisted and broke the second time lol the company is junk i wouldn't trust anything of mine on one of their trailers

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Harbor freight makes the crappiest crap there is! Bought a tool set and socket broke first time i used it and the extension twisted and broke the second time lol the company is junk i wouldn't trust anything of mine on one of their trailers
Yes, you have to be careful what you purchase there. most tools there are complete crap. but many of them aren't to bad. and if you need a tool for a one time use and you don't know where to rent it from. it's not a bad idea to use HF. Just expect to get what you pay for and you'll come out on top. Research the item before you buy it. Customer reviews are quite valuable. I have several tools that I use on a semi regular basis that I got from HF. and my ATV jack is from there. Can't beat the price and I've got 0 complaints about the jack. it works flawlessly.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You have assemble the HF trailers, and at least in Pa, its a pain to get them registered becasue it is considered a home made trailer. Check into how you register those in your state.
That is of course, if you decide to buy one, which I dont recommend

·
Registered
978 Posts
I bought a nice 7x11 tilt trailer this winter on CL just be patient and you will find a good deal

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I would not carry a ATV on them trailers.....I draw the line there on HF stuff..lol...did you check the size...its 40"x 49"..you need a trailer at least 5 ' wide by min 6' long....

this is perfect...

Tractor Supply Company 5 x 8 Utility Trailer, 1,450 lb. Payload Capacity, 2,000 lb. GVWR - Tractor Supply Co.

i am looking at one of these..they will go on sale come spring

i bought the one without the wood deck. TSC had it for $600 and Lowes wanted 660. Lowes will price match + 10% so i got mine for $540, and then installed (2) 2x12's where the ATV sits with carriage bolts. Probably into it for close to 600 before registration and what not.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Yes Rally...I am going to get one soon...I know once the weather breaks they will have a sale at either place....I been watching craigslist also..but most sell right away....with this weather trailers are in demand for Daytona bike week...the last few years you could drive down this time of year ..was not bad....but this year a way different story so every one is transporting....

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
true! i may sell mine if i get this new job close to home. i will be getting a newer truck and car trailer. but probably not in time for you, thats if i even get the position

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Good luck..I hope you get it....I m not a fast buyer..I wait till its worth it..lol.....I just want one to go hit the NH parks late summer or fall....

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have a question for the OP. Why would you put a brand new machine worth thousands of dollars on the cheapest (lowest quality IMO) trailer you can find? Especially when you live in an area with some nasty pot-holed roads. Do yourself a favor, get a better quality trailer.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the thing with the one from HD is you have to assemble it....I rather welds...dont want to be spot checking all the bolts after a long travel...but it is a nice trailer from the looks....

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
I will buck the trend here and say that if that is all your budget will allow at this time, go for it, but get the higher capacity 4x8 trailer. I had one and used it for several years to haul my ATV's on. It will do the job until your budget allows you to buy a higher quality trailer.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
4 x6 will be tight...the ATV is close to 50" wide....and if you do tires later its wider..you dont want the ATV riding on the trailer rails...200.00 more you get a real trailer....from lowes or tractor supply....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts