Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 H.O. with a carb and it's much more difficult to start than it should be in the cold weather. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution.

It's currently -27 C (-16 F).

I've tried pulling the choke all the way out and partially out and even tried not pulling it out at all. I just started it about 30 minutes ago and it almost killed the battery before it finally caught. I pulled the choke out about all the way then 1/3 of the way before it started. It seems to be different every time. Very tired of this. :disappointed:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
are you using a battery tender? In cold weather the battery loses power so you need the tender on it to keep the power levels up on the battery. The tender also keeps the battery warm which helps with cold starts.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I periodically run a trickle charge on it.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
if you're going to be starting it in cold temps you should be using it when ever it's not running.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I use my wifes 2012 500 to plow with. Never use a battery tender or a charger. Half choke in anything below 10 F. Usually fires right up. I have had some trouble after trailering it for some odd reason in cold tho?? I start and rip around on it at least every 2 weeks. My 800 is also not on a tender or charger and I play around on that about once a month. Both are inside an insulated but unheated garage.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I use my wifes 2012 500 to plow with. Never use a battery tender or a charger. Half choke in anything below 10 F. Usually fires right up. I have had some trouble after trailering it for some odd reason in cold tho?? I start and rip around on it at least every 2 weeks. My 800 is also not on a tender or charger and I play around on that about once a month. Both are inside an insulated but unheated garage.
insulated and unheated attached garage will stay above freezing easily just on the radiant heat from the house. I can keep mine at almost 60 with just a Dish heater.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You may be correct. When it was -20 F I checked garage temperature at 25

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
that's a 50* temp difference. that's HUGE.

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's - 8 in my garage, pull the choke and it fires up then push it to about half. I have had issues after trailering too, but when it's 15 below and pulling at 60 makes for a hell of a wind chill lol.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
No issues after trailering here.....or in the subzero.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've also got a 2013 sportsman 500. Never had issues starting in cold weather until last week when we dropped down to -42°c. It is parked in a detached unheated garage with a battery tender. My ambient temp meter on the quad read -33°c. First attempt it started for a couple milliseconds. Then took about 5 minutes playing around with the choke to get it going. I noticed that my choke wouldn't stay at full. When I'd pull the lever it would kind of bounce back in a few millimeters. After realizing this I held the lever at full open and it started right up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I started having issues to. Chalking it up to a new battery is needed. When it's real cold it will backfire on me and that is it. It won't start after that. Picking up a new battery tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I started having issues to. Chalking it up to a new battery is needed. When it's real cold it will backfire on me and that is it. It won't start after that. Picking up a new battery tomorrow.
Are you letting it warm up?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Starting in any temp is easier when

I run a fuel conditioner continuosly on all my engines. I like startron but there are many good ones out there (seafoam, carbon clean, ect.). I get instant fire ups in my 'cold' weather (20f). Not as cold as your area but i really think a fuel conditioner like startron makes a big difference on starting, idling and overall performance. :smoker:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I use a bit of seafoam in every tank

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I have found several with the pilot screw completely shut from the factory, the screw is under a brass cap on the bottom of carb, have to drill thru brass cap with a 1/8 inch bit, thread a sheet metal screw into cap and remove cap with vice grips, throw it away and set pilot screw at 2.5 turns out, it will start then.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I'm with jgue and whoopin,

Every tank of fuel gets the recommended amount of seafoam added to the tank. The gasoline they sell us these days is crap.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for your replies they are much appreciated. I do use a fuel conditioner when the weather starts getting cold in the fall. The dealer is at a loss and not much help. Pretty frustrating considering I just bought the machine new a few months ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
were you serious on this post lol i have a 2012 500 h.o and it will not ever start in the cold full choke or not and its crazy frusterating since brand new.
and if it floods when trying to start forget about it it wont start for hours after holding throttle open even

1 - 19 of 19 Posts