Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn my wheels to the right, hard (all the way), it kills the engine. It runs just fine otherwise. It will start back up and run again, then when I cut to the right all the way, it kills the engine.
Any idea what is causing that?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
my first guess is the throtle safety switch. you will want to check the routing of your throttle cable and the amount of throttle freeplay. you want about 1/16" to 1/8" of freeplay in your throtle. if it is at that, then check your routing all the way to the carb. (i assume this is the 95 mag. 435 in your sig) more the likely this cable has been replaced in its life, if you are not the orginal owner, and throttle cable routing is crucial. most people that do their own cable fail to realize that. make sure that the cable isnt getting caught up somewhere like between the fuel tank and frame or something. my guess is that when you turn all the way right, its pulling the throttle cable so much that the safety switch is shutting everything down in the event it would do that if your thottle was stuck wide open.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Blueline,
I hadn't thought of the throttle cable, I will check out the routing and make sure that it has the proper play in this.
I was thinking that the kill switch wire was getting pinched somewhere but the cable makes sense to me.
I will check this out when it warms up alittle, It's a whopping 12 Degree out and I don't have a garage.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
yeah, i would wait till it warms up too. its a whopping 9 degrees here in michgan today. bbrrr. yeah, just follow that cable all the way down to see if its getting snagged when you turn hard right. ill be waiting to hear back

·
Registered
102 Posts
O.K. I will share this with everyone even though it seems dumb.I have a 99 sportsman 500 and I decided to put a key chain on it just to make the key eisier to find if ever misplace. Then the bike would stall when I turned hard right staighten the wheels and it would start again. What was happening was the key chain would actually catch on the gas cap turn the key far enough to kill it when i would straighten the wheel and hit the starter switch it would run fine again. Not saying this is your prob. just a funny story.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
not dumb at all messinaround....at the shop, we probably saw 20-30 atvs a year that were brought in because when they turned it, it would kill the machine...final diagnose, it was their key chain....you are not the only one that has done this!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey there Blueline15,
I had rerouted the throttle cable, which seemed a little tight, and adjusted the tension of the cable. I thought sure that was the problem, but it's not. After waiting for the weather to warm up (38 Degrees) I decided to tear into the quad and find the problem. After putting the machine back together, the first thing I did was start the beast and turn the handle to the hard right and the quad just quit! It seems like it's electrical because the neutural light goes off when it dies, I didn't find anything that was pinched but I didn't tear it apart again, so I'm not going to rule that out. I checked the "keychain" issue and that's not the problem.
Any other sugestions?
Puzzled?:werd:

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
try taking your speedo.pod apart and check to see if the ignition switch wires have good contact and are plugged in all the way,on some models they used to run the wires down alongside the steering post.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
yeah, i would tear apart the plastic around the speedo post and then have someone turn the handlebars back and forth, and look for any wires around the steering neck that are being pulled (moving) another posiblity is that a wire has worn through, and when you turn the handlebars, the bare wire is pulled enough the make contact with the frame and ground out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts