Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay I'm Dumb..... I think that what writer types call fore shadowing.

So here is a quick background. I picked up and old Trail Boss 250 a few years back. It had lots of issues. Most of which I have worked through. So after I had it running some what reliably, it was time to tinker.
My dad had an old Craftsman tractor plow holding his back shed wall plumb.... well I had better plans for that old hunk of steel. Fabbed up a mount, stopped by my local Harbor freight and grabbed a cheap plow lifter.....a winch! Then I dragged that old blade home. It took me a day or so to mount it up but the investment was worthwhile.
My Quad always started with 3 pulls. Flip the choke up, two pulls to load the cylinder and vroom on the third. Well at least until it snowed. 20 degrees and no dice. The only way to start it was a shot of go go juice in the air box.
It really doesn't take long to become frustrated with pulling my your guts out in the cold. As a matter of fact it can be quite motivating. Motivating enough to make me want to tackle my next project. Fix the @#$#ing starter.
Now if I wasn't so lazy, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble. You really never know what you’re getting when you buy someone else’s headache. No power from the relay...no problem.... replace the relay right? It might have been a good idea to see if the relay was actually wired before I bought a new one. New relay installed and wired.... still no workie. I decided it might be time to investigate a little, so I pulled the recoil.....Hmmm something seems to be missing....like the bendix! Order the bendix go to slip it in, ahhhhhh no. It don't slip in from the recoil side like that guy on YouTube said. I bet his ears were burning. Gotta pull everything off the drive side. I mean everything. That was fun but at least I was smart enough to buy a new starter too. Mission accomplished..... the starter works.
Oh yeah but it still don't start when it’s cold.
That brings us to last week. We got Snow coming, as in snow....did ya hear me ...SNOW!!!!!! I'm like a dog with new ball when it snows except my quad won't start! So I get determined to fix it. New plug and it seems to get worse. Then I break my choke lever off. I'm pretty frustrated but in reality it's the best think that could have happened. Off to the inter-web I go. My first stop is Ebay where I find oodles of repair kits. I guess I'm not the first person this has happened too huh?. With a quick dip into my pay pal account, the parts are on their way. Next stop, ATV forums for instruction on re-adjusting the choke. I guess this isn't something that ATV-ers like to do because the amount of info was minimal at best. Now snowmobile guys, that’s a different story. Those dudes must really like messing with their chokes. There was a wealth of info on their sites and guess what...... they ride polaris' too. Lesson learned if you’re having and engine issue; don't forget to check with the Snow-mobilers. Ahhh shoot that wasn't politically correct, was it? Snow-Machiners....is that better?
Remember I said I was dumb......hint hint… here it comes. So what did I find on the snow machine sites? Well this for starters:

Holy @$#@.... Are you kidding me!!!!! How is anyone supposed to know that flipping the choke up really isn't choked.... it's half choke! Really???? I am posting that picture for any other poor sap that might be as dumb as me because I'm sure you know what happened when I actually used the choke correctly. Vroom Vroom.....every time! Unbelievable……….

Skip

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
Lol dont feel bad i did the same thing when i had my sled. Always wondered why mine was such a pain to start until i watched somone else fire theirs up. Sure enough 1-2 pulls and away it went.

Be careful though, dont force the flipper if it doesnt want to move, they break fairly easy and are not that fun to fix.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
LMAO! That was a great read. As a snowmobiler I have repaired many an enricher. (Not really a choke) It actually lifts a plunger to open a passage for more fuel to be put into the cylinder through the carb. A choke closes off air flow to richen up the mixture coming into the cylinder. Same effect, different way of doing it. And don't forget about primers that just squirt extra fuel right into the carb. Just a little more info to confuse you with. LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update:
13 degrees today and guess what? Started like a champ every time. Unbelievable!!!!!! Awesome........but unbelievable!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
LOL, that WAS a good read. Thanks for sharing you tale.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Loved the story. Kept me entertained the whole time.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad you guys enjoyed my tale of woe. Lots of cold weather and I'm happy to report that its been starting like a champ. Even on our coldest day which was around 5 degrees.
We've had two good shot of snow since my first post. Here is a quick video I took of my little project in action. Keep in mind that this is a 28 year old... 2WD.... 2 stroke without chains! What a blast!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Awesome! Now I want snow so I can plow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts