Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a difficult time shifting out of park. Then once out of park still a tough one but can shift. Any ideas? For example, to get out of park, I have to kick the gear shift with my heel.also, sometimes it doesn't kick into gear and says E on the gauge instead of R,N,L or H. Took a video but not sure how to upload.

2002 Polaris Sportsman 700

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I would not kick it into gear you are going to break something. If you break the shift linkage or shift fork inside the trans you will be sorry. Check you idle if it is too high it will make it difficult to shift when the engine is running. Does it shift with the engine off???

·
Registered
434 Posts
Make sure the rpm's have dropped back to idle as mentioned. I have noticed hard shifting if any revs beyond 1200.
My dealer told me that most shifting issues are due to poor clutch belt alignment. Might want to look into that. You could also try changing the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've already put the machine up for the day, but i do remember it being easier when it was turned off, but still not "easy".

Here's the video I took:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem on my 700 Sportsman, I had the dealer put a new belt on a few months ago and it was hard to shift ever since, I finally got the chance to put the original belt back on and the problem was solved. My incompetent Polaris dealer put the wrong belt on my Polaris ATV. The new belt and original belt were two different part numbers - both genuine Polaris belts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Time for a new belt! Same common symptoms as my bike when the belts worn....... Hard to shift when running, shifts easy when shut off and also creeps forward when idling. The belt drops further onto the clutch sheaves when worn allowing more contact with the belt at idle.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Is it just me or does that thing sound like it is idling high

·
Registered
175 Posts
The shift linkage on the transmission could be binding up too.
I'm with Ryan, my shift linking got gunked up with mud and was really hard to shift. Pull the fairing and clean/lube up all the linkage. After I did this it shifted like a new quad!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does creep when in low gear and idling. Ahhh. It may be time for a new belt. Sadly I got this belt a year ago and it's already bad? Bummer! Thankfully not a difficult replacement. Just takes time and $$

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it is creeping when at idle that is the shifting problem, whatever is causing it to creep (wrong belt, clutches not aligned, engine misaligned) is causing constant pressure on the secondary clutch which is causing pressure on the transmission and shifting forks causing it to shift hard, hope it is just the wrong belt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After watching that video I'd definately pull the shifter cover off the tranny side before replacing the belt! I agree with Ryan and Scottymalone101.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Did another video tonight. First with it turned off, then with it turned on (and choked a little. Cold outside)

So... Maybe not the belt?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd pull the cover off the shifter linkage on the tranny side! Take the 5 bolts out and the one holding your bell crank on. Remember the position of your bell crank for when your reassembling. You might have to pry the housing off of tap it with a rubber hammer. There will be a spring in there as well, make sure you don't lose that. I'm thinking you need to clean up the parts inside there. After cleaned, throw some grease in there. I'm curious to see what it looks like in there. Please take pics.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Don't forget to check idle RPMS, in gear...

Before you take too much apart, double check the RPMs after engine is warmed up thoroughly while in gear (and safety braked). S/B 1200 +- 200, if not adjust that first then check the creeping thing....

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
High idle caused my shifter to be really stiff

My '10 sporty was idling about 1700 and pretty stiff to shift, more sometimes than others but not to the point of needing a kick. So i was gonna clean/lub all the linkage. Found the linkage clean as a whistle. so then found where to lower the idle, it was not where owners manual said (screw attached to underportion of carb) it was at the end of a hose attached to carb. anyway lowered it to 1100 and presto, SUPER EZ shifting, you could do it with one finger now!! :fest06:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Based on my previous video, it is hard to shift while turned off (not just when it's running) so could it really be the idle or belt? Or does that mean it has to be something with the linkage?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Ah

ok since its happens on or off the idle can't be it. So if you haven't cleaned up the linkage yet that would be my first EZ task to do. Study how it works online with a parts schematic, its pretty straighforward. Start with the slides, make sure they are attached correctly (meaning the correct one is trying to shift either the R/L and the other one trying to move the H gear), then trace it back to the tranny to make sure nothing is binding, severely gunked up, then clean and lube up with moly based stuff. On the slides, check the two seals, if they look at all worn or cracked, replace them both even if only one looks bad. When it works correctly you should be able to shift with a single finger, nice. Best of luck! :cowboy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys could I get some help when I start my2004 Polaris 600 it woun t go in ta gear with it running and if I start it in gear ya better be hanging on she out the gate like a race horse lol and the idle is less then a 1000 rpm

1 - 20 of 39 Posts