Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read alot of the post on here about the shifting problems of the machines.
Mine is a 2004 700 Twin Sportsman
1) I check the idle. >>>>> 1100 RPMs normal
2) I pulled the belt cover and check the clutch and secondaries..
aligement was correct and the 2nd pulley was not moving.
3) I pulled the shift handle off and check it.....O.k.
4) I read some where that there might be a problem with the shift gears there at the linkage. So I pulled it all apart and checked.
As I did, I did a pic by pic so those of you having the same problem might check this also.
The 1st pic is of the side of the bike that I was working on.
The 2nd is of the bike after I got the finders and foot well off.
The 3rd & 4th is where I removed the lever & the shifter position coil on the outside.
Note: I marked the shafts and the cover plates so I could make sure everything went back together correctly.
5th.... I removed the cover

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hard to Shift 700 Sportsman 2004

In the 6th & 7th pic.. You can see that there was alot of dirt and stuff in there. At this time, I took some brake cleaner and sprayed it to help clean out this compartment so I could see what I was working with.
8th pic... I remove the spring.
9th pic... I marked the gear and the outer housing.
10th pic.. I removed the gear on the right side.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
11th & 12th pic shows the shaft and it being removed. It was at this time that I notice that the gears and the the shafts have a certain way that they go together. The splines on the shaft will only fit one way. This is one way that you can't put it back together wrong.....hopefully.
In the 13th & 14 pic....I made a pics of where the inside gear was in location to the other gear and parts.
15th... I removed the inside gear on the left side.
At this time, I also tried to remove the gear on the right but could not get it to move. So I cleaned up the rest of the compartment and the parts that I removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after a good cleaning, I put it back together in the reverse order and filled the compartment with grease.
Note: there is (2) o-rings. 1 on the out-put shaft (right) and (2) the shaft that I removed.
I talked with the mech. down at the Polaris shop, and he said the cover plate was most likely woren, letting water and dirt in. The older models were plastic and the newer ones were metal.
Also note: most of my riding is done in and around the rice fields of Ark. durning duck season. Alot of flooded rice and bean fields that are anywhere from 2" to 3' deep.
This may help, but if not then I will have to go into the trany and look at the gears and forks.
I did change the fluid in the transmission too. It look good. No signs of water or was not short of fluid. ( Measured the amount that came out.)

Hopefully this will help some out that are having this problem.
Hump.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Good writeup!! My 700 never sees water and shifts easily but if it ever becomes an issue this will be a great resource.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. In one of the shots you will see where I have the rear hubs off. I am replacing the bearings on both sides and the brakes on that one side.
The work is not hard, but when you don't work on these things day in-day out, you got to take your time and do it right. It also makes you understand how it works too.
Hump.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I bought a 600 last spring, it sat for a few years the shifter was frozen solid!!, i did take the shifter apart like in your pics, ordered some gears and orings and greased it up, has been shifting fine, i posted here before saying it's a real piss poor design!! compared to the 500 transmission
I thought about adding a grease fitting to the shifter cover.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks. In one of the shots you will see where I have the rear hubs off. I am replacing the bearings on both sides and the brakes on that one side.
The work is not hard, but when you don't work on these things day in-day out, you got to take your time and do it right. It also makes you understand how it works too.
Hump.
I'm a Master Ford Tech for a living, working on ATV's is pure enjoyment compared to the nightmares I deal with daily~~!
A 6 pack and some ATV work is relaxing.......yea right hehe
Learned alot about hillairds and all the other problems they have, of all the brands i've owned Polaris has the most problems, Yamaha the least.
I buy quads off craigslist cheap, fix them up and flip them for a decent profit

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I have to agree that Polaris machines do need more repairs, our Yamaha has only needed brake shoes and a spark plug in 20 years of service, not like the Polaris.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Xploder... I had my front end apart at the end of last duck season. It seemed like it was not going into 4 wheel drive all the time. Cleaned up the case and installed new bearings in it. Had a seal to go bad. It was a very interesting thang. Once I got it tore down, I understand how it locks up to create "on the demand" 4X4.
I do A/C building work for them folks that fly those big purple & white cargo planes.(at one of our Main Hub buildings) So rebuilding stuff kinda runs in the dailey rountine. (water pumps, ice machines, compressors, chillers......and so on.)
Hump

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
H-dog.. yes it has so far. I will know more when I get it wet later this month over in the rice fields of Ark. duck hunting. I wil have alot of water that I run through.
Hump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the site and new to ATV'S. I have a 2004 500H.O.Sportsman that I bought used. I seem to have the same shifting problems as you've described. Does my atv have the same type of shifting mechanism as yours? If so I'll go through the same procedure as you did.
Thanks,
Larry in East China Mi.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey thanks for this walk through. My 03 sportsmanship 700 that I just picked up is shifting hard also so I followed this. But once I opened it up there was no dirt or anything just black grease from the factory. It was clumped here and there but everything that moves had some grease on it. I put it back together but I'm wondering if there's something I missed. What else could the problem be??? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to Humpbackshooter for repair steps on shifter for Polaris 700

Thank you for your step by step procedure on the Polaris 700 shifter. It was EXCELLENT! I'm a marketing guy and was able to take my 2004 EFI 700 apart, order the parts and put it back together. You're post was very useful! Thank you!

Steve in Kaysville, UT

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
121....Glad it help. I have got to get in there again. Its now letting me shift from "park" all the way to "HIGH" without stepping on the foot brake.

Hump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just repaired my pawl gear and spring like humpbackshooter, had almost identical results when I opened gearbox. So a couple days later after repair it intermittently grinds going into gear. Definitely way better than it was might happen 1 out of 10 shifts.... During repair Inside the shifter box most of the gears have a flat spot on spline reassuring correct alignment, except the left gear just sets in a round hole and meshes with right gear, so it could be indexed a tooth or two in either direction, hence," I think" effecting shifter cable. I'm pretty sure I installed in the original position but if I was off by a tooth what would be the outcome?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts