Polaris ATV Forum banner

Has Polaris Quality Gone Down Hill?

10K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  golf12 
#1 ·
So Last year my wife bought me a new 550 Sportsman. I had about 50 miles on it and started to leak oil between the motor and transmission just under the dip stick. Long story short after several more issues I traded it in with only 120 miles total on it. Not happy at all with the machine, lost a lot of money on it as well. I picked up a new Scrambler 850 (base). After only about 50 miles on it the seal went out on the bearing that holds the rear drive shaft where it comes out of the transmission. The only reason I even started to look around is because the drive train started to make a weird noise, and it was shifting very hard between H-L-R-P. It is covered under warranty, but it concerns me that Polaris is not what it use to be. From these two machines alone I have seen either extremely poor quality, or do I just have the worlds worst luck? I attached some photos to show you what I am talking about........

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
YES!!!!! A friend had a 2013 850, weeks old, and only 208 miles on it quit while he was on an ATV vacation riding trip, requiring it to be towed into a shop. It took two months to get fixed, and several calls to Tech support with no success. My friend had to purchase another ATV in order to ride and not be stuck 350 miles from his vehicle. After talking with Amanda at Polaris, he agrees the Polaris does not support their own product warrenty or care about customer support. My friend has had several conversation with Polaris representatives all with the same Polaris does not care attitude. That is the same way he now will promote Polaris.

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
He had problems from the time he first turned the inition key. Then to have it completely quit at 208 miles just does not seem right, and he is just a normal traiol riuder in the State of Maine.

#5 ·
that's where I am at. my dad has a 05 big boss 6x6 runs like a charm. My brothers 2011, 2 of my 2013's, and my uncle's 2013 have all been in the shop for multiple repairs....... Not thrilled at all...... I am hoping that this atv will last but I will not hold my breath.....

#7 ·
My 2010 is top notch in my opinion. It takes everything I throw at it including boulders the size of pickup trucks and mud and water over the fenders. Happy Polaris owner. However, I do like the new Military / Civilian version Polaris that is just coming out but $15k is a bit pricey for me. Honda is still probably the most reliable but their technology for intense 4 x 4 action is seriously lacking. The rest of the ATV's out there (Polaris, CanAm, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc...) are pretty even in my opinion from a quality standpoint. However, you cannot beat the Polaris AWD system....PERIOD! My Polaris is the official tow truck of the group of guys I ride with as it just pulls like crazy.

#8 ·
I have 2 2011 polaris . a 400 and 500 ho. I have approx. 2800klm on the machines. My 500 had a bad axle (warranty) other than that ,it has been normal maintenance. I ride a lot of trails , rail beds, and some mud and water. I am quite happy with my choice.:veryhappy:

#9 ·
Their machines are better than ever.

#11 ·
Polaris could definitely work on fit and finish. I wished they worked a little harder on reliability and longevity instead of building the latest greatest machine.....but then again Honda (which I've owned 3) seems to be stuck in the past. they have great reliability, but their technology goes back to the 80's. everything's a compromise, if you want performance buy a Polaris or can am and expect to work on them. if you want reliability buy a Honda but expect less performance. that's why I jumped to a Grizzly. it was a compromise between performance and reliability.

#12 ·
I have had a lot of Yamahas and my Polaris isn't even close when it comes to being tough. I bought it because we wanted a two up machine and it seemed to be the best choice at the time. After waiting 28 days for a front shock and spring on Polaris warranty I will be looking back at the Grizzlies again when the warranty is up on this 850.

#13 ·
me a very Happy ower
2005 500 Ho sportsman 6000 miles with me and 2 sons riding it replaced one rear boot I think a stick or rock tore I think and put new front tires on
now the 850 xp eps 600 miles and running great can't wait to put 6000 miles on this one and the boys are still riding the 500, happy as hell

#14 ·
04-08 are the best years by far. The RZR is currently Polaris's bread n butter. The atvs have taken a backseat to them. Poor quality parts are the biggest issue I have with Polaris, other than that, they are great. Polaris is all about numbers now since they are the number one seller of atvs and side by sides. The whole quality issue will eventually catch up with them (look at the American auto industry in the 70's and early mid 2000's) If you really want to hear complaints about the quality of Polaris, go to the RZR forums. Its insane over there. However, there are many complaints about the newer Can Am atvs and Side by Sides. And their repairs are a very costly as compared to most Polaris issues.

#15 ·
That's why I am going to keep my 2005 sportsman 500 & 700 both carb models. In eight years only had a fan go out and the normal bearing and bushing replacements. Don't have to worry about any EFI issues that I read a ton about and with the newer models having cheaper parts I am staying away from them. I also believe the earlier models were better built. If I had to do it again I would buy a grizzly 700.

#16 ·
I love my rigs, but my dealers service dept is the reason why I will never buy another. The kid (service writer) that works there will tell me that is was X when it really was not. I just picked it up last week after a week there, and i can tell that it was not touched. I know this because I marked the suspect retaining screws and not marring or marks on them. :motz:

Honestly, I have been able to fix all of my quads just by reading the posts here.

I can fix it, but the warranty is the reason why I don't.

So for now, I will ride the snot out of the 850 and the 550, or I am half tempted to sell them both and keep the old iron.

Quality is excellent in my opinion.

#18 ·
^ exactly

#19 ·
My 550 EPS just had it's one year birthday..........still purring like a puddy tat!

#20 ·
my 2010 850 touring turns 4 years old in feb.. Not a single problem.. Just replaced the original spark plugs for the 1st time last weekend.. Just felt like doing it.. Tips were a nice light brown as they should be indicating the engine is as healthy as can be.. Nothin' but props from me about polaris quality..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.