Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Last year my wife bought me a new 550 Sportsman. I had about 50 miles on it and started to leak oil between the motor and transmission just under the dip stick. Long story short after several more issues I traded it in with only 120 miles total on it. Not happy at all with the machine, lost a lot of money on it as well. I picked up a new Scrambler 850 (base). After only about 50 miles on it the seal went out on the bearing that holds the rear drive shaft where it comes out of the transmission. The only reason I even started to look around is because the drive train started to make a weird noise, and it was shifting very hard between H-L-R-P. It is covered under warranty, but it concerns me that Polaris is not what it use to be. From these two machines alone I have seen extremely poor quality, or do I just have the worlds worst luck? I attached some photos to show you what I am talking about........

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I looked at the date of manufacture before I bought mine. I looked for a Tuesday or Thursday build. I found a Thursday built one......she has been good so far.(knocks on wood)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sorry to hear you have had issues.

What type of riding do you typically do?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Also sorry to hear that. Especially since I just bought my first Polaris. I hope like he** the quality hasn't gone down, but so far so good for mine. No troubles as of yet.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Leaking oil seals on new stuff like OTR trucks, and other machines happens so I do not think that is just a Polaris thing but more like part of the new stuff debugging.

What kind of riding was you doing before the shot that showed the transmission leaking seal?

Shafts that turn in abrasive mud can be hard on the seals. If grass and stuff gets around the shaft that can cut the surface of oil seals.

Again stuff the dealer is fixing when new can be a pain but that is what a company has dealerships vs mail order only sourcing.

I do know some people have a need to make ruts in mud for some reason but not sure the engineers fully grasp the need to address that in the factory. Again a rotating shaft below the ground surface in a mud hole can be very abusive but recreational use of Polaris machines per Polaris is only 30% of their 20%+ market share in the USA.

If you have been in deep mud and water some may have flowed into to your gear box but you will see when you drain

·
Registered
852 Posts
machines these days are way more complex then they where in the past. my 900 is almost like a small plastic bodied pickup truck, compared to my Magnum which is an extremely simple machine.

that said my Ranger has about 1700 miles on it and only 1 major problem, and 1 minor problem both covered by warrantee. no that those problems where fixed they shouldn't happen again either :D

anything else has been user/mechanic error. like the dealership putting to much oil in the transmission causing it to leak out of the overfill vent... I really should fix this... but by now it's vented off most of the excess...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear you have had issues.

What type of riding do you typically do?
Mostly trail riding in Northern Minnesota. Logging trails, small windy atv trails in the woods, some mud (I try and avoid it where I can), shallow water crossings (<30"). Then mostly just good old country back roads. Nothing IMO a Scrambler cant handle. I do not wind it out, or beat the tar out of it, I have my snowmobile for that :veryhappy:.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Leaking oil seals on new stuff like OTR trucks, and other machines happens so I do not think that is just a Polaris thing but more like part of the new stuff debugging.

What kind of riding was you doing before the shot that showed the transmission leaking seal?

Shafts that turn in abrasive mud can be hard on the seals. If grass and stuff gets around the shaft that can cut the surface of oil seals.

Again stuff the dealer is fixing when new can be a pain but that is what a company has dealerships vs mail order only sourcing.

I do know some people have a need to make ruts in mud for some reason but not sure the engineers fully grasp the need to address that in the factory. Again a rotating shaft below the ground surface in a mud hole can be very abusive but recreational use of Polaris machines per Polaris is only 30% of their 20%+ market share in the USA.

If you have been in deep mud and water some may have flowed into to your gear box but you will see when you drain
I try and avoid mud at almost all costs. I don't hammer the throddle like my uncle or brother on their sportsman 850's. I was taking it very easy and not pulling a trailer, not killing my motor because it was brand new last weekend when it happened. We were riding mainly logging and man made atv trails in northern Minnesota. There were mud holes but all weekend I maybe put the atv in 4 X 4 five or six times. Otherwise I mainly crawled through the holes in two wheel drive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
machines these days are way more complex then they where in the past. my 900 is almost like a small plastic bodied pickup truck, compared to my Magnum which is an extremely simple machine.

that said my Ranger has about 1700 miles on it and only 1 major problem, and 1 minor problem both covered by warrantee. no that those problems where fixed they shouldn't happen again either :D

anything else has been user/mechanic error. like the dealership putting to much oil in the transmission causing it to leak out of the overfill vent... I really should fix this... but by now it's vented off most of the excess...
they are more complex for sure. My dad owns a 2005 big boss 6X6 and has had maybe one issue since he bought it new in 05. Me, I have hand now 3 serious issues in one year on 2 brand new machines.......

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
sounds like bad luck, and warranty issues. I understand it's frustrating when you buy a new machine and something goes wrong with it. You feel like you may have bought a piece of junk. but a good dealer should handle these issues without much fuss. Yes you're away from your machine, but at the same time a couple leaking seals really isn't the end of the world. It's better that than something big breaking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just think the warranty sucks, unless you ride all year there is a period where the machine sits eating away the 6 month warranty. Extended warranty here is $1800 for 18 months and thats if they even fix it not wiggle out on some stupid loophole. I'll wrench it myself for the money as well as know the work has been done properly.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I stopped at the CF Moto booth at the atv show, quite impressed. 1 year bumper to bumper, 5 year powertrain, up to 10,000 kms.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You Canucks really get hammered on pricing!!

In US no one should pay more than $725 for a 5 year genuine Polaris warranty. I'm sure others have gotten cheaper but this is a number that anyone can get with no negotiation.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
My dealer Sells Cornerstone, Polaris warranty turns down way more than they approve. I gather it is the same in USA?
You Canucks really get hammered on pricing!!

In US no one should pay more than $725 for a 5 year genuine Polaris warranty. I'm sure others have gotten cheaper but this is a number that anyone can get with no negotiation.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have no idea on claims. Hopefully I don't have to find out if this is an issue.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It's seems like it was either a waste of money or well worth it. Just this year I had $4500 in repairs done on my '07 Infiniti G35x. This was on a $1800 factory extended warranty so that was one I came out ahead on.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts