Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I hate to admit it but I for the first time owning and working on my own atv, I finally broke down and had to utilize the Polaris dealer tech services.

Soooo, long story short, I was replacing all my stock suspension bushings on my 2007 Sportsman 800 last week with new ones I ordered from jccapri and decided to replace my ball joints while I was at it.

I had one hell of a time just getting the a-arms separated from the ball joints(had to utilized a set of pickle forks and an 8 pound sledge hammer)

Prior to the "bigger hammer method", I attempted to drive the balljoints out of the hub strut by whacking the a-arms with a dead blow hammer(retaining plate bolts removed) as instructed by the Polaris Tech to no avail. I attempted to heat the hub strut to aid in the removal of the ball joint and ended up burning a small hole in the CV boot(I know stupid move on my part, I thought I was being diligent with the flame near the boot, oops)

So back to the bigger hammer, got the a-arms separated finally and I made a tool to pull the ball joint and ended up stripping the threads off the ball joint stud. At this point I'm really pissed and dissapointed. I end up removing both struts from the atv and head to the dealer.

$30 later(great deal if you ask me) the tech has my old joints removed(same day 2 hours later) and I'm back in business. I had my new joints sitting in the freezer for the last 72 hours, throw the struts in the vise, heat the strut and with more persuassion than I anticipated, new joints are driven in.

Dave at All American Wheels Polaris in Southington, Ohio was a pleasure to deal with. He runs a smaller Polaris shop which I haven't been to but no more than 4 times. Hes not as busy as other dealers around me but for that fact he can get your rig in and out way faster than the bigger dealers.

So as I said I hate to admit it but sometimes you need some help from the dealer techs. I've basically rebuilt my entire motor on this machine and it pained me a little bit inside to admit defeat on this seemingly simple task but I'm pretty sure I would have done more damage to the struts had I continued to attempt this replacement by myself.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Have u had a chance to try out those bushings yet?? Could you give a little review on them please?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,474 Posts
Just wanted to say getting all the front end parts apart isn't a cake walk. Don't be discouraged, at least u had the balls to try.

Had jccapri bushings on the bike for 500+ miles and they are as tight as the day I put Em in. If new bushings are what is needed jccapri is the only one to buy them from.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im definately happy with them so far even though the quad is still up on the jack lol, definatley tightened everything up, both the front and rear wheels were toed out prettt bad, super straight now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts