Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Hatfield and McCoy trails in southern WV have 6 different trails systems and 1 in the making that could be complete by this coming spring 2010.They have cabin rentals,camping,bed&breakfast and motels.Some of the towns are ATV friendly(bikes&sxs also)which means you can ride into town for gas,food,shopping etc.It's a great place to ride for beginners and veteran riders.Check it out http://www.trailsheaven.com/

·
Registered
441 Posts
one of the greatest places to ride ...........:rock:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I ride Pinnacle creek and the Indian Ridge trails. Good trails and family oriented

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah a friend and I are hoping to head down there before the end of the summer. We're just trying to find a group to go with other than just us two.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which one are you planning on riding Pinochle?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Either Pinnacle or Indian Ridge just because they are closer to us. Leaning more towards Pinnacle because I've heard alot of people say it's the most scenic trail.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never been to Indian Ridge but I been to Pinnacle Creek and the Wagon Wheel a couple of times this year.It does have some pretty nice views.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Wagon Wheel, isn't that something you access through outlaw trails? I heard someone talking about that before but wasn't sure what it was.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its in between Indian Ridge and Pinnacle Creek.I think the nearest town is Crumpler,WV but I wont swear to it.The Wagon Wheel itself is an old country store where you can gas up and eat.I guess thats where the name of the trails came from.You can ride from IR to PC using some of the WW trails.I have never went to IR on these trails,but some of the people I have rode with have.I know it takes a little over an hour to get from PC to the WW store on the trails.Its a pretty good place to ride.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wow, that's pretty cool. My safety instructor and the organizer of the club VA ATV Enthusiasts rides those trails alot and he was the one talking about it so I'll have to take a trip with them up there sometime and go try this place. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A bunch of people ride WW because they dont have rules like Hatfield&McCoy.A lot of the people that ride there like to drink and wont wear a helmet.Plus there are cabins and campgrounds in that area too.And I think there are more trails than IR or PC.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wow, I didn't know all that. I'm not sure if I want to be around a bunch of drunk riders but it does sounds fun.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Most" of them dont get hammered and try to ride:friday: but I cant say that about all of em :crazy:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow, I didn't know all that. I'm not sure if I want to be around a bunch of drunk riders but it does sounds fun.
Just ignore them, most of em are kind of fun to watch because they do stupid things and talk a whole lot of B.S. They are kind a like hunters and fisherman....Lies, Lies, Lies
However, the down side of the outlaw trails is that a lot of those "drunks" do some really dumb things...like putting their life on the line. This past weekend I rode with some friends up their and we were riding on a trail and a guy waved us down and not to my surprise, one of his buddies was laying on his back with blood on his face. His Wolverine had flipped over on him going up a steep hill. He was in too high of a gear going up and his engine stalled. Long story short...I had to call 911 and the EMTs had to airlift him out of there. And yes there were beer cans scattered around his atv and he was not wearing a helmet. When you see crap like this, it will give a bit of a "wake-up" call. I am sold on helments too, but not beer and atvs combined.
All of the trails up there are good riding. By the way, we went and rode to Kentucky Fried Chicken on our 4wheelers...kind of neat uh!
I luv your ride by the way!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah I just have to shake my head when I see people acting stupid like that. Hope the guy is ok though. But they're also the ones who ruin the fun for everyone else. But yeah that whole trail system sounds really amazing to ride, I can't wait til I can find time to make it up there.

Oh, and thanks for the comment. I see you're looking at getting yourself a 550. Good luck with that, it's an amazing machine and you definitely won't be disappointed in any way especially with the eps.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your gonna get a 550XP then I would try to get EPS.I didnt,but kinda wish that I would have.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think I'm going to hold off on the 550XP and wait till next spring to get one because I'm getting a RZR in a few weeks and I don't want to sink deep into my wallet for 2 rides. I'll just hold on to my 500 for now.Plus I just bought some wheels and tires a few months ago for it and I would like to put 800 to 1000 miles on em.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Slider, a few of us will be in Gilbert Sept 18th, 19th and 20th. We'll get there Friday afternoon and ride Sat and some Sun. We're staying at Twin Hollows campground. Stop in if you're all healed up. Anyone else wants to ride, load em up.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I rode Friday evening and yesterday.Going again in a couple of hours cast and all.I got this cast cut down enough that I can ride now.I'm gonna cut it off on the 19th so I will definately be ready for Rockhouse.I rode Rockhouse and Bearwallow with 5 or 6 guys from Indiana back in June during Dirt Days in Logan,WV.I think they were from somewhere around Bloomington,IN.2 or 3 of them were 1st timers here and not used to the hills and some of the rougher trails and they kinda worried me a little,but they ended up doing ok.Yes anyone else that can make it,you are welcome.One of these days if you(or anyone here) get the time,let me know and we can ride places other than H&M also.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All the guys coming with me have been riding a long time and my buddy Tom is the only one you might hear sobbing at the bottom of a big hill...lol. I ride Brimstone when I can, it's the closest to me and there's other rides, Harlen County and Pennington Gap that has some really good riding. I haven't been there for awhile but I'm due. One guy I know over in Virginia is getting a 100 mile ride up for the fall, I've rode with him before, he puts on a good ride but you have to take a lot of food, you might not get back until midnight.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts