Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early Saturday morning I'll be heading down to WV for a week of throttle therapy :grin. Unfortunately it'll be on the wife's 570-T, AGAIN :crying. I mean I guess I can't complain but it sure would be nice to have either the 800 done or the 1000 in (that's a whole nother story). Never the less it's going to be a blast as usual. So I'm going to make it a point to take some photos (I don't do enough of that out on the trail) and post up about the days ride every night :wink.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Dam I'm jealous. I definitely want to go down there after Christmas some time. Good luck, be safe and have a blast.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
We went last spring and plan another visit this spring. Great riding! Looking forward to seeing your pictures. I don't take enough either.

Where are you staying? What trail systems?

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dam I'm jealous. I definitely want to go down there after Christmas some time. Good luck, be safe and have a blast.
If never been down in the winter months. I've always wanted to though. With holes of catching a quick little snow storm that just barely coats the trails enough to make it that much more of a challenge.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We went last spring and plan another visit this spring. Great riding! Looking forward to seeing your pictures. I don't take enough either.

Where are you staying? What trail systems?
We are staying in Gilbert. We generally hit Rockhouse, Bearwallow, Buffalo Mountain, Pinnacle Creek, Devil Anse, and the Outlaw trails.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Thanks! We did Pocahontas, Indian Ridge and Pinnacle Creek in March. This trip we will be looking for something different. Anywhere in particular you would recommend for lodging?

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah definitely!! Are you guys opposed to trailering?? I'm guessing you didn't have to when you did IR, PC, and Pocahontas. Which is very nice!! I did that once, we stayed in Bramwell and didn't have to touch the trucks for a week!!!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I think we need to plan a spring meet and ride ??????? We all had a blast back in April

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a bad idea!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Yeah definitely!! Are you guys opposed to trailering?? I'm guessing you didn't have to when you did IR, PC, and Pocahontas. Which is very nice!! I did that once, we stayed in Bramwell and didn't have to touch the trucks for a week!!!
Not opposed to trailering, but it's really nice not to have to. It was great to unload and leave the trucks sit for the week. With that said, if we can find a place to stay that is reasonable but we have to trailer, then so be it.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
If anyone is interested in a winter ride I'm definitely interested. I own a landscaping business so fall and spring are out for me.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well gentlemen I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked :|. I was hoping to update the thread daily :|. Didn't do that either.

So where to begin. Well let's start with some statistics. Worst drought in 56 years!!! So as you could imagine or not it was DUSTY!!!! There were points while riding I had flashes of vertigo. I absolutely didn't know what was up, down, left, or right. Let alone where in the hell I was!! I'm just hoping none of that dust got past my air filter. I'll be checking that out soon.

I'll just give a little summary of the trails and events that took place. I rode for 5 days. We hit Rockhouse, Bear Wallow, Buffalo Mountain, Devil Anse, Pinnacle Creek and the Outlaws. There were some mechanical issues and hospital trips. I was the only one riding a Polaris and it ran flawless!!! There were three Kawi BF 750's they suffered the most issues. A bent rim which was hammered back to shape on the trail. Boiling gas to the point one of the guys was complaining it was spraying him at times. Belt lights. Tranny output shaft seal leaks. Overheating. There were two Can-Am's one ran without issue the other had worn the brakes to the point the piston was contacting the rotor. Subsequently the piston pushed out which caused a complete lose of handbrake pressure. Could have been a BAD situation if that were to happen at the wrong time. There were also two Suzuki KQ's out with us. A 750 and 400. The dude riding the 400 was a newbie but very experienced on street bikes. He was smart and took it slow and did not allow himself to be pressured into any bad situations. A number of times he had to take the ride of shame in the Kawi T-4 and someone had to ride his wheeler down or up a knarly climb. The gentleman in the 750 didn't fair so well. Unfortunately we had done some steep stuff that gave him a sense of confidence that was undeserved. We don't know what exactly happened due to the dust. On this particular decent speed wasn't the cause but of what I gather more then a few factors caused the crash. Obviously it was dusty and we were moving at a good clip. It was the end of day one and we were at Bear Wallow. We were making our way down the mountain to the trail head and trucks. The conditions were dry but the ground was loose with rocks and silty/sandy dirt. As the dude on the KQ 750 was navigating his way down I think he over compensated his manuvering allowing the machine to get sideways. At that point the front right caught a large rock turning the machine practically perpendicular to the trail. This coupled with the momentum of the wheeler sent man and machine into a barrel roll down the rest of the hill. The machine rolled over the rider once. At this point the rider continued to roll in fear of being hit by the next ATV in the group. Basically he suffered bruising and scraps and cuts. The machine was damaged but able to be ridden down to the trailer. The rider was taken to the hospital as it was thought there could be internal bleeding and/or broken ribs. Thankfully it was just bruising and cuts. So his riding was done after day one which sucks because his group wasn't leaving for another three days.

This is the third time in three years a newbie has rolled his machine. We can't stress enough to the new guys the importance of staying vigilant and to not try and keep up with either the fast crew that runs up front or the vets. But it happens and we deal with it.

So as a way to salvage the trip and end on a high note my buddy suggests we drag up and hit Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA) in PA. This was a easy yes for me as I haven't been and it was on the way home. So we tried and failed to convince the rest of the group. But we packed at the truck and trailer and headed north. We left Gilbert WV at 8:pM and arrived at Anthracite at 5:AM caught a little shut eye as there was 4hrs until opening. We but on 30 miles doing the western loop. There was NO DUST as it had poured the night before also the high temps were in the low 60's which was 35° cooler then the highs in WV. There was lots of technical trails, some nice climbs, and lots of views and outlooks. I'm glad we sucked it up and drove through the night to ride Anthracite Friday.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pics of HMT.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couple pics of Anthracite.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
polman500 & bp405, you guys need to plan on joining us in late March 2020???

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Looks and sounds like an awesome trip other than the dust. I hate dust. We need some long steady rain.
Well you can have some of ours! Start pumping from the rivers....we are sending you all our extra water......

·
9,470 Posts
polman500 & bp405, you guys need to plan on joining us in late March 2020???

I'm going to try to FPD. Just keep us updated on you guys plans. It's only about 150 miles for me. I'm gonna try to get a couple of my crew on board for it. Do you know exactly where you'll be going yet?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts