Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 polaris outlaw 525 S, i am normally just a dune rider, and i go to the track every now and then. I have been wanting to put a programmer in my quad to get a bit more power and speed for drag racing and going up big dunes. I became really interested in putting a programmer in when a friend of mine put one in his yfz 450, it did wonders for his, and its a hell of alot faster now. I want to put one in mine but i dont know of any good ones, and cant even really find any for my quad on the internet. Can anyone help to direct me the right way possibly giving me a link, and tell me which programmer would probably help me the most?

Thanks,
-Frank

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
those programmers you are talking about dont exist for your quad. they piggyback the EFI system and "trick it" you dont have EFI on that 525 so your fuel deliverly is mechanical, not electrical

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So since a programmer is obviously not possible anymore, what else is there?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
by faster, what are you looking for, better acceleration maybe lose some top speed or a higher top speed and maybe lose some low end?

and is this 525 bone stock?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes bone stock, i want more acceleration it seems at when i race the other quads accelerate more, but at the same time i would also like to keep my top end speed the same.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
the cheapest easiest and one of the most noticable things to do would be to change your gearing. you could go down one or two teeth on the countershaft and up 3 or so teeth on the rear. for every tooth you go down on the front it is about equal to going up 3 in the rear. so a -1 drop on the countershaft and +3 on the rear sprocket will give you about a +6 in gearing. you will have a noticeable faster acceleration and you will hit your shift points faster, but probably not a bad thing for racing. you will however loose some top end, but probably on 5 mph or so.

next thing is that KTM motor is a bitchin' motor. when comparison test between KTM's 525 XC and Polaris Outlaw 525 were ran, the KTM was 2-3 quad lenghs faster at least, even though both machines have the same engine! the airbox and exhaust on the outlaw was designed by polaris and is restrictive. get an aftermarket exhaust. good companies too compary availbility and prices are: FMF, Two Brother, Leo Vince) I will work on finding you links to specific exhaust that will work but those three are my favorite brands.

air filter wise, you should be able to get something like a K&N which will flow a little more air, and you can punch small holes around you airbox.....like 6 1/4" holes to start. this will get more air in, which will poor more fuel in too, and with the aftermarket exhaust you can get it back out.

of course all of this will mean you will have to play with the jetting and keep fine tuning it until it runs right. if you are running on stock jetting right now, i can almost bet you are running too lean and that is hurting your performance too. they come jetted pretty lean from the factory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds awesome man, i will talk this over with my father see what we can agree on (he has an 09 outlaw). My question with the k & N filter is that, i went to their website and they dont even make one for the outlaw so ??? As far as exhaust goes, i can get a slip on its an FMF that will fit, or does it need to be a full exhaust straight from the headers for it to make a difference? Jetting easy fix i am related to the head mechanic here that works on all the polaris machines (certified dealer) so i can get this beast tuned and running great i hope soon.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
slip on would work, i dont think you will get much more from a full. that header pipe is pretty straight through. the way the stock exhaust is inside it creates some turbulence before leaving, so it gets "bundled up" and aftermarket exhaust will have better materials and take into account a more straight thru design for the exhaust. and another benefit is the weight lose. the OEM muffler is very heavy compared to an aftermarket one.

you have a kick ass motor in there man! it just needs a little help to unleash its inner beast. if you didnt know, those motors are assembled by hand at the KTM factory in austria. super tight tolerances, has by far the broadest powerband of any other sport atv on the market, and to top it off, the motor is fricken' bulletproof! polaris toned that engine down, but let it breath it, shave some weight off, and it will haul!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yes i know how powerful these machines are, i used to be more of a dirt bike rider, however when i got this baby in 08 i changed my preference however i didnt really have any friends that had quads that would go to the dunes with me, so i guess i didnt really ride it to much out there just around the house or the track a mile away. Lately i have been riding it a lot at the dunes because most of my friends all of the sudden got quads, but i want to make my machine faster. Thanks again for all your input it really more or less kinda added to what i already thought i was gonna do, and really got me focused on exactly what i needed to do. Thanks man.

By the way what kind of quads do you have and what do you have done to them?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
ha, wanna know the funny part, i dont have a quad, i never have owned one yet. im a 22 year old college student so i dont have the money or time for one right now. i did however work at a polaris and KTM dealership for about 2.5 years and did just about everything there. all the way from services, accessory installs, and farily basic service work. the majority of my time i spent as a parts and sales guy. i have ridden just about every current model of ATV from every manufacture. and i have spent quite a few hours on the 525 outlaw and 450 MXR outlaw, as i got to take these home from work for the weekend to play on them...i had a pretty cool boss!

i do have a sportbike though, so i use it as my commuter during the summer. i graduate in 14 months and one of my first gifts to myself will be a quad once i start my career

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow irony haha. I know what you mean on the college thing man, however currently im going to the local community college til i get my basics done, then off to somewhere else. Ya man its always nice to get out and ride, im sure you know, so hopefully when you start your career you can start kicking back and having a little bit of fun. My question to you is, when you do graduate what kind of quad are you gonna buy ?
\

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
thats the million dollar question.....one of these three, will depend on price...

either...

KTM 525 or 450 XC
Outlaw 525 IRS
850 XP

maybe ill just get all three....haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts