Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you tell me about them? There's 2007 for sale near me. Owner is looking for $2800.00. One owner 40 hours of light use. I notice there does not seem to be a category for them on this forum which I'm not sure if that in itself doesn't already give me my answer:ponder: How long did polaris make them for? American made? I've actually been looking for a late model 500 Sportsman but the Hawkeye was offered to me. I know it certainly a fairly simplistic ATV, single speed, air cooled engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hawkeye

Sandman, I have had a hawkeye for 3 years, for my wife. she loves the machine. The previous owner hit something with the front so he sheared the wires to the front diff. When I soldered and reattached the wires correctly, it has worked great. The only complaint we have is that tires for the rear are a little hard and expensive to find in the man. size, but other than that, its a great machine. Not the most powerful of machines, but more than enough power to ride along with us on 500,600 and 700 sized machines. Post some pictures of machine, as the amount of miles are very low given its age. Overall, we are happy with the machine, as with all machines, keep up with fluid changes and avoid extreme riding, and the machine will last you for years. Good luck, Joe

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
The Hawkeyes were made for only two years, then they became the mid-sized Sportsman 300/400 from 2008-2010 before the midsized frame was discontinued. The Hawkeye was only in 2006 and 2007. They are not known for speed but do very well in mud as the lighter frame coupled with the 4x4 prove to be a good combination for that situation so long as the tires are up to par. the stock tires SUCK! I personally consider the Hawkeye the red headed step child of the Polaris line up. The after market support is VERY limited. but if you look hard enough you can find the parts and accessories that work with the machine.

The '06 frames had cracking issues, but those were remedied in the 07 frame. I've beat the S out of mine with no issues and that includes whoops and jumps/drops.

I have 0 complaints about the machine. I bought mine with the intent of it being a family bike. for my wife to use once I got a full size and for the kids to use as they get older. As you can see by my signature, I have done a lot of work to mine. and all of it has been well worth it. I ride tight trails around my house and for those the Hawkeye is plenty fast. It's a good bike for taking small kids for rides on, however with the midsized frame it's a little tight if you're a large guy to ride 2 up.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I recently bought my wife an 09' Sportsman 300 (same as hawkeye) and she absolutely loves it. Simple to use, physically a nice size, and plenty of power to get around with AWD in messy situations. That price is about right, its similar to the hours on mine and what I paid for it about a month ago OTD. I'd say if everything checks out go for it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
there you have it Sandman

And there you have it Sandman. If you are getting the thumbs up from Thorshammer, or cwslingshot, in my opinion, you are getting advise from two of the most experienced and senior members on this forum. They have worked on most every machine out there it seems. I personally would negotiate that $2800. price tag down a bit, considering you can get some larger used machines for nearly the same price, and a lot newer than a 2007. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck. Joe

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Only thing I can suggest is I would MAKE SURE it has an oil cooler installed on it. This was an optional accessory on some model years. Apparently back then the dealerships around me would install it as a standard practice, but not all did. Will help keep operating temps low and extend the life of the machine.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
And there you have it Sandman. If you are getting the thumbs up from Thorshammer, or cwslingshot, in my opinion, you are getting advise from two of the most experienced and senior members on this forum. They have worked on most every machine out there it seems. I personally would negotiate that $2800. price tag down a bit, considering you can get some larger used machines for nearly the same price, and a lot newer than a 2007. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck. Joe
^ this, these guys know ther way around these machines. My brother has one, he just bought it this past summer. 2008 300 with 60 miles, $2150. work them down on the price. see what the online sites say they are worth.

KBB has it listed as Retail for $2695 at a dealer.

good luck and hope you can get it for a reasonable price!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Only thing I can suggest is I would MAKE SURE it has an oil cooler installed on it. This was an optional accessory on some model years. Apparently back then the dealerships around me would install it as a standard practice, but not all did. Will help keep operating temps low and extend the life of the machine.
are you talking about the cooler with the fins that is mounted to the engine, or a auxiliary oil cooler? which are apparently VERY difficult to get in the US but are available in the UK For 1/5 the cost of the 1 if found in the US...

·
Registered
22 Posts
my mistake

My apologies, I meant CWlongshot.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'll throw in a disclaimer. Most of my experience is with the Hawkeyes. I'm familiar with most of the other Polaris machines and quite familiar with Mechanics and engines in general. I also have a lot of experience with metal working, structural engineering, and mechanical design. The googlefu is also strong with me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all, give me something to think about. I currently have a 2003 330 TB for sale. It's been a good machine but not so good once the snow get above 4 inches. I may poke around a bit and see what else becomes available as I've always coveted 500 HO's. Don't think the owner of the Hawkeye will go down any more on price since he started with me at $3495.00 (Clearly way to much) Now down to $2800.00 but I'm not sure that spending another$1000-$1500 for a more popular model with strong aftermarket support wouldn't be the better investment. For around $4000.00 late model 500's can be had around here with low hours. I'll let you all know what I decide to do. Thanks again guys for all your info!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, after looking at a number of knackered Sportsmans (People just do not take care of these machines around here :shocked1: ), I decided to go look at the Hawkeye. I have to say that it was just as the seller stated, showroom condition. I couldn't believe that an 07 could have seen such light usage. The rather affable fellow selling it owns a salvage yard and a big tract of land so he took me on probably one of the best test rides I've ever been on for a used ATV. I wasn't completely sold just looking at it even though it looked brand new. It is quite a bit smaller than sportsmans and even the 330 trailboss I just sold. After the test ride, I was really impressed by this little 4x4. The throttle response was substantially more crisp than my Trailboss (Which had a clutch kit in it) and even the Sportsmans I recently test drove. Turning is super light which is good because both my aging shoulders are shot. The only think that's sort of lacking is skid protection. Not sure whats available for this machine. I'll get hand guards for it as well. This is the camo model.......very attractive finish....almost to nice.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Keep it garage stored. Mine is the camo finish '07 as well and the UV fades the camo to purpleish if you leave it outside like the previous owner did to mine.

As for skids. I made my own. http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...odifications/39166-home-made-skid-plates.html The build really doesn't start until page 4.

I know that the A-arm guards are still available here and there. Fuse can help you track those down as he got them for his wife's Sportsman 300.

These machines are the red headed step child of the Polaris line, but I've been nothing but impressed with mine. Even with 25" tires on it (2" larger than stock) it still seems to do great. I'll be adding the Quadworks stage 1 kit within the next month (I've got it already, just need time to do the work on the carb, the filter is already installed). Once that's done and I've seen how well it works I may be removing two clutch weights to get it just a little more umph. We'll see. also, all the parts listed on my signature are stuff that I can assure you fit. so that's a good place to start if you're interested in accessories.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I keep my machines garaged so purple camo shouldn't be an issue. Great job on the skid plates....you got some mad fabricating skills. I was hoping to find the plastic one that polaris once offered (I'm told anyway) Found a company in the UK that sells them but I have to email them and see if the ship internationally. Your not kidding about the Red headed step child...almost zero aftermarket support for this machine. I'm surprised its still not manufactured for the US market.....seems to be a very capable and feature filled middleweight 4x4. A lot of the japanese machines in this category do not have IRS. I guess Americans just like the Sportsmans better.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
The Hawkeye became a midsized sportsman in 08 and the mid sized machines were discontinued in 2010 in the US market. From what I can only assume was lack of sales in the US. They are still available internationally in the UK and in Australia I know for sure. The big bores really started taking off the around then and you know the US loves "MORE POWER". The ones that sold are loved by the owners that use them. I got mine because it was a 4wd mid-sized ATV that was IRS and in the right price range. Needed the mid-size for my wife to be able to ride if she wanted to. and didn't have the funds to drop on a new machine with EPS at the time. like I said, I've been nothing but impressed with the machine. and it will stay in the family at least until the kids out grow it. which will be a while as I've got a 20 month old right now.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
as far as the skids. I stand by my opinion that anyone with a Jigsaw, a drill, a couple of clamps, and some patience can make them. We didn't have a metal break and used a section of angle stock to clamp the pieces to our work table and used hammers and our hands to do all the bending. Honestly the hardest part of the whole job was cutting and fitting the templates to make sure that they wouldn't interfere with the suspension movement and steering components. if you buy a full sheet of Aluminum you won't need to do any welding. and the rest is all just drilling and bolting.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
If your looking for a 500.... stick to your guns. As in the "long run" I doubt you'd be 100% happy with a 300. You already said it yourself..... single speed trans, air cooled and small. But it really depends on what you are going to use it for.....

But I can't argue that it wouldn't make a great "second or wife's" machine!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
as far as the skids. I stand by my opinion that anyone with a Jigsaw, a drill, a couple of clamps, and some patience can make them. We didn't have a metal break and used a section of angle stock to clamp the pieces to our work table and used hammers and our hands to do all the bending. Honestly the hardest part of the whole job was cutting and fitting the templates to make sure that they wouldn't interfere with the suspension movement and steering components. if you buy a full sheet of Aluminum you won't need to do any welding. and the rest is all just drilling and bolting.
What kind of clamps did you use to clamp the plates to the frame rails? I guess Polaris has left the mid sized market to the Japanese manufacturers. They even discontinued the 330 Trailboss and Trailblazer. I thought my 03 330 TB was a pretty nice machine in the 2x4 category although my 250 Recon will smoke it in the manuverability and lighter weight department. As far as wanting a 500.......yeah, my little head thinks they are awesome but the reality is that the woods I ride are very tight and I mostly use the machines on my own property sooooo (Big head overriding the little one) a mid sized 4x4 just makes more sense......not to mention my garden gnome like stature would fit just fine on a smaller quad. I get bored with stuff after owning it for a few years so no doubt I'll be changing up the stable again or adding to it. May buy a sportsman that needs some work just for a project at some point.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I used sections of 3/16 plate to clamp the A-arm's and sections of the main skid. Other parts I drilled through gussets and skid plates and bolted through those, or just used existing bolts and or holes to bolt it on.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I got the oem plastic a arm guards for our 300 from wheels inc in fargo nd. The protection they offer is decent, but could be better. Cost was pretty cheap, less than $30

1 - 20 of 20 Posts