Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if I need to pull the drive shaft off at the front of the machine or will the transmission pull off the splines at the rear of the drive shaft? thx

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
From the service manual:

TRANSMISSION REMOVAL
1. Place vehicle in "park". Raise and securely support rear of ATV under the frame. Remove both rear wheels.

2. Disconnect the BLACK (negative) battery cable from the battery.

3. Remove:
• Seat
• Side Panels
• Rear Rack/Rack Support
• Rear Cab Assembly
• Left/Right Foot Wells

4. Disconnect the vehicle speed sensor and gear selection switch connectors from the transmission.

5. Disconnect transmission vent hose from the nozzle.

6. Disconnect shift rod end from transmission bellcrank.

7. Remove PVT outer cover, drive and driven clutches, and the inner PVT cover. (refer to Clutch Removal in Chapter 6).

8. Remove fasteners securing upper control arms to stabilizer brackets and transmission brackets.

9. Remove the stabilizer bar links from the upper control arms. Remove lower shock-to-control arm fasteners.

10. Remove both rear drive shafts from transmission.

11 . Remove the fasteners securing the stabilizer assembly to the upper frame.

12. Remove the two mounting bolts that secure the front of the transmission to the frame.

13. Remove all lower transmission mounting fasteners from each side.

14. Remove the upper transmission support bracket completely from the ATV.

15. With the help of an assistant, lift and remove transmission out of rear of frame while pulling the output shaft from the propshaft yoke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mean the cover that is part of the trans case being held on with the hex head bolts, but the cover that sticks through that cover and seals the crankshaft. I think I've got it coming off now. Had to drive the trans forward on the driveshaft to get it around that crankshaft cover and now I have to drive it backwards to get it off the yoke. At least I think that's how it's done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts