Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard storys about ppl having a hard time installing a hawse fairlead on their polaris winch. This week i installed one on my 2012 polaris 800 and its actually pretty easy. I have no pics but ill for sure explain what i did.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have one on my Polaris 2500 winch. I had to cut the stock fairlead bolts off to get them out, and cut the hawse fairlead bolts because they were too long. Did yours fit right in?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I removed my bumper then I removed the plastic body part that's around the winch so I could access my winch I then removed the four bolts at the top of the winch mount that attaches the winch to the mount I then slide my winch to the left so I could pop the two original bolts out then I took one of those bolts n the hawse fair lead to my local home depot n first I matched the bolt witch was a 3/8 so I purchased a 3/8 x 1 inch the original are only 1/2 inch I then took the fair lead n found a washer that would fit in the hole witch was 1/4 obviously the hole in the washer is to small but that's fine I purchased a box so now to make the hole in the washer bigger I clamped the washer in a vice n used a stepping drill bit to make the hole bigger I did this to eight of them four for each hole so then I took my 3/8 x 1 bolts n put them in the holes that original two came out of on the front of the winch bracket n slide my winch back n put the four bolts at the top of the winch bracket back in then I put my new synthetic cable on then I took my hawse fair lead n put four washers in each hole then I slide it on to the two bolts on my winch bracket that I just installed then I took my two locking nuts that I unbolted when I took the original fair lead off n I used them to bolt on the new fair lead the washers make the nut stick out half way so u can get a socket around the nut hence why u need a 3/8 x 1 bolt then I put the plastic body piece back on then my bumper n then I was finish I'd recommend buying a whole box of washers cuz I went threw about 20 before I got a hang of it hope this helps

·
Registered
470 Posts
Interesting ideas. I am about to redo my second, an XP this time, and I was wondering how the heck I am going to get those bolts out of their to remove the roller fairlead.

Here's yours, with a little puncuation thrown in for the heck of it. :privateeye:

QUOTE: "I removed my bumper, then I removed the plastic body part that's around the winch so I could access my winch. I then removed the four bolts at the top of the winch mount that attaches the winch to the mount. I then slid my winch to the left, so I could pop the two original bolts out.

Then, I took one of those bolts and the hawse fair lead to my local Home Depot. First, I matched the bolt (which was a 3/8). I purchased a 3/8 x 1 inch (the original are only 1/2 inch).

I then took the fair lead and found a washer that would fit in the hole, which was 1/4. Obviously, the hole in the washer is too small, but that's fine. I purchased a box.

So, now to make the hole in the washer bigger: I clamped the washer in a vice and used a stepping drill bit to make the hole bigger. I did this to eight of them, using four for each hole. Then, I took my 3/8 x 1 bolts and put them in the holes that the original two came out of on the front of the winch bracket and slid my winch back.

Put the four bolts at the top of the winch bracket back in then I put my new synthetic cable on. Then I took my hawse fair lead and put four washers in each hole, then I slid it on to the two bolts on my winch bracket that I just re-installed.

Then, I took my two locking nuts that I unbolted when I took the original fairlead off and I used them to bolt on the new fairlead. The washers make the nut stick out half way so you can get a socket around the nut, hence why you need a 3/8 x 1 bolt. Finally, I put the plastic body piece back on then my bumper and then I was finished.

I'd recommend buying a whole box of washers cuz I went threw about 20 before I got a hang of it. Hope this helps."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lmao Thanks I typed that all on my phone.... It was the best way I could come up with im no mech im just good with tools...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Lmao Thanks I typed that all on my phone.... It was the best way I could come up with im no mech im just good with tools...
And you're good with ideas too and we are glad you took the time to post it. My best buddy here is very creatve and a skilled body man and mechanic. Basically an engineer. Not a speller however, as he'd be the first to tell you, but I sure don't care. He's damn handy to have around I can tell you that and has come up with tons of ideas to fix stuff.

I had no real difficulty getting the roller off my wife's machine, a 2007 500. But on my XP, it looks like the winch is a little snugger in there. My Cobra bumper is due in a week or so, so I am going to get after it immediately once my new rope and fairlead arrive. I will try to post up here how it goes and add some to the thread if I can.

P.S. "Pat, I'd like to buy a period." :veryhappy:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks when you install yours can you snap some pics and post them....? I forgot to take some....

·
Registered
470 Posts
I will and I'll also do a write-up. Maybe you could change the title of this thread to reflect removal of a roller fairlead for replacement with a hawse. It should let you edit it. That will help people find it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly I thought of that ^ but I would not recommend it because you are removing material witch will cause weakening. I paid like 8 bucks for 2 bolts and a box of 50 washers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Within the mounting holes on the fairlead there are two separate diameters, one to accommodate the shaft of the bolt, and the other to accommodate the of the bolt that came with it. I am machining the latter by about 3/16" of inch. The first diameter mentioned is the hole that will be bearing the load as the shaft fits snug against it. Am I weakening the fairlead? Yes. Will it be detrimental to the structural integrity of the fairlead? Most likely not. As I mentioned before (in my thread about this same topic) I also have the capabillity to manufacture my own fairlead out of 304L plate, so if this fails, no biggie, I'll design a custom one!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ let us know how it goes...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts